• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mediations. How accurate are they??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nightthinker

A friend of mine was injured at someone elses fault. My friend sued the other person, and is going through the process now. A mediator was brought in to put a price on the case. How accurate are these mediations usually?

Thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Mediators don't "put a price" on anything.

A mediator's job is merely to discuss potential for settlement between the parties and to assist the parties to come to their own conclusion in the hope of having the parties be able to come to a settlement on their own. A mediator helps the parties differentiate between fact and fiction, reality and exageration, and to help the parties know the controlling laws, all to assist the parties to understand their real positions in the matter, and to settle the case if at all possible.

A mediator does not render any type of judgment or verdict or decide who was, or was not, at fault.

An "arbitrator" on the other hand does, in fact, make a decision between the parties, and renders a form of judgment or verdict.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 06-01-2001 at 08:55 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">