• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shepclan

Our neighbor who was 23 was killed in a sledding accident on our property. We contacted our home insurance and found out we did not carry liabilty just damage to our house and garage. We now have it but its too late for the awful accident. My qustion is who is responsibe for the medical bills which are coming in left and right? His parents cannot afford them.I feel so sick to my stomach to know these people lost their son and now has thousands of dollars worth of bills. We were so young when we took our policy and now have learned the hardway

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Why are you feeling responsible ? Was there something wrong with your property that caused the death ? Were you aware of any defective condition that was the efficient proximate cause of the death ?

IAAL

S

shepclan

It was just an awful accident. His parents do not hold us responsible but the bills still keeps coming. Is there any kind of aid that helps families with this problem

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

shepclan said:
It was just an awful accident. His parents do not hold us responsible but the bills still keeps coming. Is there any kind of aid that helps families with this problem
My response:

Please don't misunderstand what I am about to say. I don't mean for it to sound cold-hearted, and I can empathize with your feelings of pain and anguish, and those of the parents.

However, this matter is not your responsibility at all. The parents should have had insurance for their family and, all because they were not foresighted in protecting themselves with insurance, does not mean that you have to take on this burden, to the point of emotionally distressing yourself.

The plain fact of the matter is that their family just might be forced into Bankruptcy, and because they failed to have insurance, the bills are their fault - - not yours.

Accidents like this are horrible, and the pain only increases when creditors start knocking on your door over their bills. But, your neighbor took a calculated risk by not protecting their assets and not having medical insurance. It's a shame, but this is how life goes sometimes.

I wish the parents only the best, and my sincere condolences.

IAAL

racer72

The young man was an adult, why should his parents be responsible for his debts? Unless the hospital suckered them into accepting responsibilty for the bills. If they did, they should challenge it in court. Unfortunately, most young people do not think they need life insurance and it can be an expensive mistake. I would assume that his estate will go to probate and the judge will decide who gets paid and who doesn't if the debt is more than his assets. If he was transported to a public hospital emergency room, it is expected that some folks are going to die and leave bills that cannot be paid. That is why we have publically supported hospitals so that everyone, including those that cannot pay, get equal medical care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">