• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance Subrogation Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nohname

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My child was in a serious car accident and the parents of the driver insurance provided payment which was more than the bills, but the injuries still require medical treatment even after 8 months. At the time, my medical payed the enormous medical bills and what was left I paid with the proceeds. Now, many months later my previous medical insurance company wants subrogation of nearly 10K, which has long been spent. I now have a different medical insurance company and have many new related bills. Shouldn't the insurance companies be talking to each other rather than me, but the payout did require signed agreement of no liability????

:confused:

Last edited:

nohname said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

Shouldn't the insurance companies be talking to each other rather than me, but the payout did require signed agreement of no liability????

:confused:
I'd like to offer you some advice, but I don't understand this last sentence. Please clarify.

nohname

When I accepted the settlement from the drivers parents insurance company, I had to sign a waiver that they would not be liable to any litigation. This makes me think, I am shafted.
Thanks

nohname

To clarify I had Anthem for a particular employer at the time of the accident, and they paid for my childs treatment at 80%. The driver is another insurance co, which gave me a settlement, but required a notorized I promise no liability. Soon after the accident I changed jobs and have a different insurance company which has been paying many related bills for my child, still recovering 10 months later. The settlement was spent on the remaining bills for the original emergency treatment. But now Anthem has sent the Subrogation letter asking for money I dont have.. Should I contact them and say Look, I have ongoing medical expenses because of this accident and spent that settlement plus still owe for new bills:(

Last edited:

lwpat

This happens a lot. Walmart is especially bad about going after medical claims. If you received payment in a lawsuit for medical expenses then they have a claim since they paid the medical bills. Basically you have been paid twice and they want their money back. It all depends on how the settlement was structured. If it was for pain and suffering rather than actual medical then you are in the clear. The same is true if it was for future medical bills but then you may be liable to your current company. Otherwise you just have to hope they won't really go after you for just 10K. Never settle with an insurance company without legal advice unless it is minor.

Now you have lost future liability for your medical bills plus you may have to pay back some of the settlement.

nohname

The different insurance co of the drivers parents signed settlement sheet says payment would apply to future medical expenses, permanency injuries,or unknown injuries.

nohname

InsuranceLady,

If I spent the proceeds for ongoing medical care caused by the accident, does this make sense?

Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">