• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical records are private, right????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

campbell2

I dont know what catagory this falls under so bear with me.

a relative of mine went last week to a medical provider for treatment. when she got there and was waiting for the doctor the nurse asked her if she was ever in that office before. My relative indicated to the nurse that she had never been there except for earlier in the week when she was there for a intial visit/exam. She kept asking her "are you sure"? The nurse then left the room and came back with another nurse and they proceed to grill my relative on why she is trying to pass herself off as someone else. This realtive of mine told them that they had her mixed up with someone else. The two nurses then showed my relative a medical file and pointed out some VERY VERY PRIVATE INFORMATION ON PAST VISITS and then showed my realative a copy of a drivers liscense. When my relative saw the drivers licsense she replied to the nurses "that's my twin sister". The nurses then after a look of shock wore off their faces proceeded to apoligize up the kazoo for their blunder. Anyways now Myself and my realataive have this information that we didnt want and my relative's twin sister's privacy has now been evaded and for what? I am soooo mad I could spit. Can we sue this heath care provider? These nurses where more intend on proving this woman was lying than caring about the privacy of medical records....l

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Definitely. But the state law differs on what is recoverable as damages.

Both people are involved here: the twins. What are the damages? I would say check with an attorney in your state who is familiar with medical invasion of privacy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">