• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mercedes-Benz ML320 engine crashed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kontora

What is the name of your state? MN

I was driving an ML320 (77,000 miles since 1999) and the engine was blown up without any signs. The SUV was on a regular checkup at the local dealership just one month ago, nothing wrong with the engine was detected.
This is pretty unusual for Mercedes engines to blow up in only 77K miles considering good car care and all scheduled visits to the dealership.

Now, the dealer wants us to pay for the engine replacement, cost - $14K. I think the delaer is resposible for the engine crash since they did not find anything wrong during checkup. Accoring to MBZ owners discussions, the engine should run upto 250,000 miles without problems.

Any comments/suggestions?
Thanks!

racer72

kontora said:
I think the delaer is resposible for the engine crash since they did not find anything wrong during checkup.
And you think the dealer would not be responsible if they found something wrong? Engines fail before there time quite often, even Mercedes engines. You can find good used engines for your vehicle for less than half the cost of a new one. You cannot hold Mercedes or the dealer responsible.

B

bdunham7

The dealer wouldn't be responsible for not predicting your engine trouble.

However, there is a settled class-action lawsuit that was won against M-Benz regarding their failure to specify the proper oil (synthetic) for certain cars equipped with Flexible Service Systems (FSS) that told you when to change the oil. The settlement provides extended warranty coverage for engine failure due to sludge or lack of lubrication as long as you followed the proper minimum maintenance intervals.

What is the EXACT technical cause of the failure? Does it involve engine sludging or lubrication issues? Did the timing chain tensioner fail?

How often have you changed your oil and where have you had this done? Do you use synthetic oil? What kind? How long have you owned the car?

K

kontora

bdunham7 said:
The dealer wouldn't be responsible for not predicting your engine trouble.

However, there is a settled class-action lawsuit that was won against M-Benz regarding their failure to specify the proper oil (synthetic) for certain cars equipped with Flexible Service Systems (FSS) that told you when to change the oil. The settlement provides extended warranty coverage for engine failure due to sludge or lack of lubrication as long as you followed the proper minimum maintenance intervals.

What is the EXACT technical cause of the failure? Does it involve engine sludging or lubrication issues? Did the timing chain tensioner fail?

How often have you changed your oil and where have you had this done? Do you use synthetic oil? What kind? How long have you owned the car?
The exact technical cause is unknown, according to the dealer's reponse. The dealer took the car and opened up the failed engine, did not tell me anything about the sludge. I am going to visit a dealer today and check if I see any sludge.

My ML320 was using regular oil according to the records, however the oil change intervals were as suggested by the FSS system - 10-12K miles, until the middle of 2001, so all 1999,2000 and half of 2001 the regular (non-synthetic oil) was used with originally suggested by Mercedes intervals of 10K miles. After 2001 the delars used the synthetic oil, but the records do not specify which one. I owned a car from Feb 1999 until now.

Now, what should I do? Actually the dealer talked to Mercedes and they offered a $6,000 discount on engine replacement that costs total $14,000, but I still have to pay $8,000. So I if this problem was on Merceres side, and the oil intervals should be less than 10K miles, this was contributing to the problem. Should I ask for a full coverage of the repair? I found the that according to the calss action lawsuit, the warranty was extended to 10 years/100,000 miles:

"A Class Action Lawsuit was filed against Mercedes Benz that effects owners of all 1999, 2000 and 2001 Mercedes Benz vehicles. When Mercedes Benz implemented the Flexible Service System (FSS) in 1999, which permitted extended oil change intervals of up to 20,000 miles, they recommended changes with regular (fossil) oils. By 2001 they experienced some engines with excessive sludge deposits and early engine failures. They then recommended oil changes with only specific brands of synthetic motor oils to address this problem. Since Mercedes Benz initial recommendation for use of fossil oils resulted in not only engine failures of 1999, 2000 and 2001 vehicles, but also premature wear in others, a class action suited was filed against Mercedes Benz. Approximately 2 weeks ago, Mercedes Benz agreed to settle this suit by agreeing to extend the warranty on all 1999, 2000 and 2001 Mercedes Benz vehicles to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. In addition, the owners of 1999 vehicles will receive a total of $3,500 of service, of their choice, at a Mercedes Benz dealer."

K

kontora

Saga continues

Waiting for MB represenrative to visit and write the cause fo failure. If this is MB fault, they they will replace the engine under entended warranty (10 years/150K miles) based on the class action.

Will update with results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">