• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

messed up accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

graf918

edit: point taken
thanks for your time

Last edited:

bisto

graf918 said:
hope someone with knowledge of OH laws can offer some advice here :p .
I was driving in the school's parking where the band usually marches as well when this occured. Normally the way people park, they leave no room on the end to navigate to other rows so I had to go onto the grass to go to another row searching for spots. Someone apparently placed a flute IN THE GRASS and unfortunately my car went over it. I have asked the opinion of just about every woodwind player in the band and no one thinks that the girl should have left the flute (read: not my fault) where it was because A.) cars do go through there and B.) the instrument is a 1.5 lb cylinder thats probably 0.5 inches in radius and 6 inches long. Since the start of band, our director has told people to hold on to their instruments if they are that small. So, in your opinion, who's fault it and what actions do you think I should undertake?
You are not supposed to drive on the grass. I don't think there is a sign saying "no flutes to be left on grass". More likely "no driving on the grass you fat lazy moron" Your laziness is no excuse for someone leaving a flute on the grass.
Your actions should be to apologise to the person who's flute you destroyed and ask her for the reciept for the new one which you will reimburse them for as soon as you can.
You really are a moron. Why did you even post this thread. What has the size and shape of the instrument got to do with anything?

You Are Guilty

The point they were trying to make is that as the driver of your car, you, and you alone, control where that car goes, and as such, the State has determined that you, and you alone, are responsible if you choose to utilize that control to run people's flutes over.

This one time, at band camp...

G

graf918

There are 200 kids in band and they do not get in proper order on the correct part of the field for A LOT more then a few minutes. It's more a social gathering then a lined-up block at the start of band. It's commonplace to drive though that patch of grass as the pavement is blocked. The whole band has seen this happening during practices. Don't get me wrong, I do feel bad for what happened, but I do not think I be held 100% in fault here. I didn't make a choice to run over band instruments to get my jollies; in fact I was driving carefully as close to the pavement as possible and at <5mph. And thank you for realizing my purpose for bring up the dimensions of the instrument. As I said before, no flute (or clarinet) player I asked would have placed such a small instrument on even pavement not to mention grass. Finally, the player was also the only witness other than me. She was also within 10 ft of the site of the accident but did not warn me. I'm not using that as justification for my actions, but seriously, if your costly musical instrument was in the way of a car would you yell stop?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">