• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan - Hit Parked Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

apg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

On the icy roads this morning I hit a parked car, damaging both of our side mirrors. I left a note with my number.

I have been reading and getting mixed advice on how to proceed, and what Michigan's no-fault law really means.

Should I ask her to get bids, and offer to pay out of pocket (assuming the bids are reasonable) to avoid increased insurance rates? Would my insurance increase if I were to report it? What are my responsibilities at this point?

ecmst12

I don't know whether your rates will go up, but generally trying to pay out of pocket is more trouble then it is worth. That is why you have insurance, to take care of things when you screw up.

Even in Michigan, a parked car that is hit is entitled to receive the FULL cost of repairs, not just the $500 mini-tort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">