• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military and Auto Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cespranger

Do active duty military personnel have to have their Auto Insurance in the place they are stationed or can they keep it in the state where their vehicles are registered (their home state). We have our drivers license and vehicles registered in WI, but we are currently living in NY. We have heard from State Farm that NY has a state law that says military members may leave their insurance in their home state. USAA (our military car insurance provider) says that you have to change it every time you change states. If that is a NY law, what is the law code for that, so I can print it as proof?

Litigation!

cespranger said:
Do active duty military personnel have to have their Auto Insurance in the place they are stationed or can they keep it in the state where their vehicles are registered (their home state). We have our drivers license and vehicles registered in WI, but we are currently living in NY. We have heard from State Farm that NY has a state law that says military members may leave their insurance in their home state. USAA (our military car insurance provider) says that you have to change it every time you change states. If that is a NY law, what is the law code for that, so I can print it as proof?

My response:

It's true. It has nothing to do with you or your status in life, or what you do for a living. It has everything to do, however, with where the car is garaged; e.g., parked.

For example, you can visit any State you want; but, if you're in California for more than 10 days, you need to re register the vehicle and get a California driver's license. Also, you need to have insurance that reflects California as the place where the vehicle is garaged.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">