• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in accident in friends vehicle, the hospital wants my Insurance. We live in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jdwhiteman

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I have been told by the hospital and the insurer of the vehicle that since my minor child went to the hospital I have to submit a claim against my insurance carrier. Is this true in PA?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Minor in accident in friends vehicle, the hospital wants my Insurance. We live in PA

jdwhiteman said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I have been told by the hospital and the insurer of the vehicle that since my minor child went to the hospital I have to submit a claim against my insurance carrier. Is this true in PA?

=================================

My response:

It's true - - anywhere. The driver's insurance company has probably not accepted liability for the accident, and the accident is probably still under investigation. Until liability is accepted by that insurance, they don't have to pay for anything, and you're going to have to submit your child's medical bills to your own carrier.

Once liability is accepted (if it ever is accepted), then your insurance company can "subrogate" it's claims for reimbursement to the driver's insurance company.

IAAL

J

jdwhiteman

I just had to submit a claim against my policy because the same minor daughter stole my vehicle and hit a telephone pole on my property. The claim was for $4,000. I am under the impression that if I were to submit another claim at this time that my policy will be dropped. Can I obtain a lawyer and sue the responsilble parties insurance company myself?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jdwhiteman said:
I just had to submit a claim against my policy because the same minor daughter stole my vehicle and hit a telephone pole on my property. The claim was for $4,000. I am under the impression that if I were to submit another claim at this time that my policy will be dropped. Can I obtain a lawyer and sue the responsilble parties insurance company myself?

My response:

Sure, you can sue the other party.

However, considering the length of time litigation takes, the hospital will, by that time, have turned your daughter's medical bills over to collection and, probably sue her and you. If a lawsuit is filed, you can certainly ask the hospital if they will accept a lien. But, from experience, the hospital will more than likely NOT accept a lien for the medical amount and, will therefore, not wait for any lawsuit to be completed in order to be paid.

I would strongly suggest that you turn this matter over to your insurance company and preserve your good credit. If the accident was not your daughter's fault, and was in fact, the other driver's fault, then your own insurance company won't "drop" you.

But, whatever the case, you need to deal with the hospital's bills ASAP.

IAAL

J

jdwhiteman

Thank you, for the information. It is greatly apreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">