• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor accident - left contact info and left scence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emarkuci

So, I clipped someones mirror and it came off. I pulled over out of the way.
Went back to the car and checked it out, just the mirror was hanging no broken pieces.
I took a biz card and left all my info under the wind sheild wiper and left.
The women saw the damage and reported to police. The next day she saw the card and called me.
I said I wanted to pay for damages. She just recently called me and told me the bill was $1100 to repaint 2 panels of the car where the damaged mirror was hanging and scratching while she drove around till it got repaired. The mirror just snapped back on.
Question 1, am I liable to pay this....the damages from not getting it fixed right away
Question 2, is this considered a hit and run, and can I be charged.

Any advice would help.
thanks,

xylene

Question 1, am I liable to pay this....the damages from not getting it fixed right away
You are not liable for the vehicle owners failure to mitigate damages.

Question 2, is this considered a hit and run, and can I be charged.
No. Here is the relevant passage

§ 4549.021. Stopping after accident involving injury to persons or property.

If the accident or collision is with an unoccupied or unattended motor vehicle, the operator who collides with the motor vehicle shall securely attach the information required to be given in this section, in writing, to a conspicuous place in or on the unoccupied or unattended motor vehicle.

You appear to meet that test.

You should consider contacting your insurance in regards to this.

emarkuci

she called me and stated the repairs guys just poped it back on, but the damage was from it hangin and scrapping the paint.
I meant to say, leaving the scence of an accident. If you leave your info does that count. There was no one around and no alarm going of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">