• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Accident. Need some claim advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PokerAce

PA

I have Geico. Other person had State Farm.

My parked car was hit by the other driver. I called to see what the hold up was and State Farm said they didn't have a correct phone number for the person, and they sent a letter. Since I had the correct phone number, I gave it to them and they were able to leave a voice mail message. This was 3 days ago. Today Geico called me and said that State Farm has not been able to contact their policy holder, and that I should file my claim through Geico.

From what I gather, I would need to pay for the damages (because I have a deductible) and then Geico would try to recover those damages. I asked them if I could wait a couple of days to see if the other person contacts their insurance company and they said that was ok.

Obviously, I would much rather have State Farm pay for the damages instead of me paying it first and hoping that I get the money back. Since State Farm hasn't been able to contact their driver, shouldn't they be responsible enough to process the claim and let me get the car fixed?

Last edited:

ecmst12

SF can't accept liability until they complete their investigation. They can't complete their investigation until they speak with their insured. Your choices are to be patient and wait for SF to do this, or file with your insurance co and pay the ded.

freedom of information act

In some states, you can bring the other persons license plate number in and get the address which the car is registared to. Or, any compentant private investigator could easily find a number and home address. You could also try googling the vioce mail. I think i would rather just pay the damages, instead of running all around for "minor damages".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">