• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor accident question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

syphus

Ok I'm from Virginia.

On Christmas I had a small accident. I was pulling out of a driveway the area was not well lit and I hit an illegally parked car belonging to my sister in law's brother.

I got out and looked and I had caused a crack in his bumper. Amazingly I had a rental car and there was NO damage to the rental. I told him about it and he went to take a look.

He got an estimate for $600 and it could be more if there was any structural damage which they cannot check for until they remove the bumper. I sent him a cashier's check for $1,000.00 which would cover the damage and rental car fees (for him).

I still have not heard whether or not there was any structural damage so if there is any I wanted to know if he is at all at fault for this for being parked illegally. I will say its not posted anywhere that you cannot park there but this happened in a trailer park and according to their laws parking on the street is considered illegal.

I also wanted to know if he accepts the check and needs more money can I tell him to forget about it (without getting sued) and did I admit fault by sending him money? Also he's from Pennsylvania and the accident occured in Virginia so I'm sure it falls under Virginia State Law.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

tammy8

ON the cashier's check, did you write FULL AND FINAL settlement? This may or may not be legally standing, however when someone settles (be it insurance or personal settlement) this statement can more legal standing if you are taken to court especially if the other party simply cashes the check.

S

syphus

No I didn't. That might've made it obvious that I don't want to pay him anymore money and probably make him automatically take legal action in the event he needs it for structural damage (judging from the damage to the car I was driving I will be quite surprised if there is such damage).
Plus don't bumpers provide some shock absorbtion? I don't know much about cars but that's my logical take.

Thanks for tip, good stuff to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">