• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor accident and she is claiming disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

splash79

What is the name of your state? NY

I got involved in a very minor accident. I was going 5 miles, in a bumper to bumper traffic. didn't see the car stopped, and hit it. A VERY minor rear-end accident. There was a small scratch on my bumper, nothing on his. He said that his wife was injured, which was quite shocking to me. He called the ambulance. I don't have any further information right now. There was a police involved, but they questioned us separately. He didn't even speak to me. I have no idea what he said to the officers. I don't have the police report yet, but my insurance company said that he is claiming that his wife is disabled. I am sure he will sue me, too. What is the chance of him getting the money that he asks, which probably will be a LOT.
Thanks a lot!!!

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NY

I got involved in a very minor accident. I was going 5 miles, in a bumper to bumper traffic. didn't see the car stopped, and hit it. A VERY minor rear-end accident. There was a small scratch on my bumper, nothing on his. He said that his wife was injured, which was quite shocking to me. He called the ambulance. I don't have any further information right now. There was a police involved, but they questioned us separately. He didn't even speak to me. I have no idea what he said to the officers. I don't have the police report yet, but my insurance company said that he is claiming that his wife is disabled. I am sure he will sue me, too. What is the chance of him getting the money that he asks, which probably will be a LOT.
Thanks a lot!!!
How much liability coverage do you have?

Also, she will need to get her insurance company to pay the early medical bills. Both your insurance company and hers will investigate her injury claims.

ecmst12

Your insurance company will defend you in case of a lawsuit. She will have to prove that she's injured/disabled in order to recover anything. She will have to have the treatment records and medical bills to back up her claims. It is not unheard of for a minor accident to cause injuries that are a lot more serious then you'd expect, so don't dismiss her claims out of hand, and don't worry about it. Your insurance company will take care of everything and let you know if you are needed for anything.

splash79

Thank you so much for your quick response. I have 25,000.00 per person coverage. He was really weird at the accident scene. As soon as he got out of car, he said "Don't come close to the car, and don't leave. My wife is injured." I had NO intentions of leaving an accident scene, and I was walking towards him to ask, if everybody is OK. It was at the small street, with a bumper to bumper traffic, with traffic lights. My purse, and my shopping bag was sitting on the front seat didn't even fall on the floor. Thats how minor the accident was. Now I am kind of scared that, maybe she had previous injuries, and say that she got injured because of me. How can I prove that?
Again thank you so much!!!!

ecmst12

Like I said, YOU don't have to prove anything. The burden of proof is on her. If she did have previous injuries, you are still responsible for the extent that you aggravated her pre-existing conditions.

splash79

Your insurance company will defend you in case of a lawsuit. She will have to prove that she's injured/disabled in order to recover anything. She will have to have the treatment records and medical bills to back up her claims. It is not unheard of for a minor accident to cause injuries that are a lot more serious then you'd expect, so don't dismiss her claims out of hand, and don't worry about it. Your insurance company will take care of everything and let you know if you are needed for anything.
Thank you so much!!!!!!! You just made me feel much much much better!!!!!!

alnorth

This wont help for your particular incident, but you may want to ask your agent to quote you on a policy with at least $100,000 liability. Added liability is really dirt-cheap and if you have plenty of insurance you wont have to sweat it out next time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">