• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor accident with someone illegaly parked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

morocca2

i'm in ohio
and i was at a chipotle and backed into a kid's car
a car that was parked illegally along the sidewalk by the door
now i have this kid's father calling me to get a check for 250
and he'll forget everything
i know i backed into the car, but it was illegally parked and i do feel like i should pay, but i also have the feeling they may be trying to scam me somehow
the second time i was called the father told me his brother wasa body man
and that the car had a fiberglass fender that would need to be sanded down
filled, and the fender repainted, and the hood blended
so then he said he's losing on the 250, then why only 250?

so if someone is illegally parked, does that put both parties @ fault?

BelizeBreeze

The car being illegally parked has nothing to do with your legal responsibility. Either pay the $250 or file a claim with your insurance company.

rmet4nzkx

You backed into the car and damaged it, how does that make it his fault?
Have you reported this to your insurance company or got estimates to repair the damage?
I'll bet it is more than $250.
It's up to you what you do, just figure that either it won't get fixed or his uncle will do him a favor, either way, You still backed into the car, no matter where it was parked.

That happend to me 2 yrs ago. I was leaving work and this lady parked in the fire lane behind me. Tried to clear the car that parked too close next to me and ended up backing into her car(that sucked!! :eek: ). It's no big deal just let your insurance company handle it....even though the car was illegally parked it doesn't change the fact that you hit it. Plus if the damages are only $250 that won't make your insurance go up by too much unless you have other at fault claims. Just be lucky no one was in the car at the time!!!!

Hope this helps :D

Happy Trails

Just curious, how was the other car illegally parked?

The others are right you need to be observant. That is the responsibility you take when you get behind the wheel. So you had an accident, live and learn.

Before you go through the insurance company you should check to see what your deductible is. It won't make any sense reporting it to them if it is $250.00 or higher. Sounds like the father is trying to work out a fair deal for you. Just my opinion.

stevek3

morocca2 said:
i'm in ohio
and i was at a chipotle and backed into a kid's car
a car that was parked illegally along the sidewalk by the door
now i have this kid's father calling me to get a check for 250
and he'll forget everything
i know i backed into the car, but it was illegally parked and i do feel like i should pay, but i also have the feeling they may be trying to scam me somehow
the second time i was called the father told me his brother wasa body man
and that the car had a fiberglass fender that would need to be sanded down
filled, and the fender repainted, and the hood blended
so then he said he's losing on the 250, then why only 250?

so if someone is illegally parked, does that put both parties @ fault?
Your own fault. This would never have happened if you ate at Chuck E. Cheese.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">