• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor drinking and an ATV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nibor

What is the name of your state? Indiana

At a Furture Farmers of America Xmas party sponsered by the local high school, our 18 yr old son was intoxicated and allowed to drive a ATV while on private property. He struck and damaged a parked car. The police were not called. We received a call from the car owner wanting us to turn this in on our sons insurance. We checked with our agent and he advised that the owner of the ATV that granted our boy permission to drive the vehicle should contact their insurance company. They refuse.
We agreed our son was at fault for hitting the car and offered 500.00 for coverage of any deductible. The owners refused and ask for 3300.00 for repairs to the 1984 camero with 150k miles that blue books for 1600.00.
I not sure what to do..

teflon_jones

I'm troubled that your 18 yr old son was 1) intoxicated to begin with and 2) intoxicated at a party sponsored by the high school.

Since he was intoxicated (and to top it off, illegally drinking), you're not going to get any insurance company to cover this claim. As for the $3300 versus the vehicle's value, that would be something for a judge to decide in small claims court.

Why was your son drinking?!?!?!??!?!?!?! :mad:

Lynx 36

Insurance follows the car. In this case the ATV. If your son was given permission by the owner of the ATV to operate it then the responsibility would fall to the insurance company the ATV was insured through.

Not condoning the underage drinking but just b/c someone is drunk doesn't mean the accident won't be covered. I've paid property damage on plenty of drunks. Secondly, since there were no police called then there would probably no concrete (or legal) proof he was intoxicated. Lastly, who was the moron that allowed an intoxicated person to operate this ATV? I wouldn't let a drunk drive my bycycle let alone an ATV.

Who owns the ATV? This is who the owner of the Camaro needs to contact. If the blue book is $1,600 and the damages are $3,300, then the insurance co. will total the car and give them ACV.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">