• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Scratch but Claiming Injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

QSEQB6

What is the name of your state? Florida

A few months ago I scratched someone's car in a parking lot as I reversed from a dead stop. It was such a minor scratch, when the sheriff showed up he had us fill out a driver exchange form. I then reported to insurance and they said they'll take care of it.

Recently I received a letter from a lawyer representing the other party, apparently now claiming injury. When I contacted my insurance, they were surprised because they had already closed the file due to no-reply. Now they re-open the file.

My question is what should I do to protect myself knowing the other party and their lawyer are trying to milk the system? Isn't Florida a no-fault state? Why is the lawyer sending me a letter? My insurance claimed they already paid the other party for their minor damage (body and paint job). I only have basic PIP and liability (10/20) and I recently swithed to another insurance company due to premium increase of the previous company.

ecmst12

Your insurance will handle it. It's not impossible that an injury occurred, but in Florida they will have to prove serious and permanent injury before they can collect on any BI claim.

FlyingRon

Florida No-Fault applies to bodily (that's human bodies, not car bodies) injury only.

Forward the lawyer's letter to the insurance company that you had at the time of the accident.
They're still responsible for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">