• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minors and contracts in california

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TazLady

What is the name of your state? california

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum but here goes. Can a minor in california be bound to a contract? I took my kid to a racetrack where a camerman accidently hit him on the head with the camera causing him a concussion. On the back of the tickets I bought it says the track isn't responcible for any injuries. Period. Is this true for a minor too?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TazLady said:
What is the name of your state? california

I'm not sure I'm in the right forum but here goes. Can a minor in california be bound to a contract? I took my kid to a racetrack where a camerman accidently hit him on the head with the camera causing him a concussion. On the back of the tickets I bought it says the track isn't responcible for any injuries. Period. Is this true for a minor too?

My response:

No, that's not what it said; rather, that may be your summary interpretation.

Would you please quote the EXACT language of the "contract"?

IAAL

T

TazLady

the exact wording:Notice to ticketholder: By using this ticket you agree that: YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND DANGER of property damage, personal injury, death, and all other hazards related in any way to attending this event, anywhere in the facility and at all times, before, during or after the races. Dangers include flying objects, vehicles, other people conditions at the fabitlity and unforeseen hazards. You agree that NHRA, track owners and operators, racing participants, and each of their respective officers, owners, officials, sponcers, contractors, employees and agents shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or injury to you and you hereby release them from all claims. Be alert for hazards at all times.

My son was smacked in the head with a camera owned by a sports station covering the event, causing the concussion. Of course it was an accident and I don't want to sue. I just want them to pay for the $160.00 tickets we could not use the next day because of the injury and I want them to pay for the doctors bills, ambulanse (sp) ride, hospital bills and ct scan that was done. The race track says they arn't responcible for anything and sports center says the same. I am scared that my insurance will deny the claim after they get the report saying how it all happened. And if the racetrack isn't responcible and the sports center isn't responcible for the bill, that must mean I am.
Any comments?
Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TazLady said:
the exact wording:Notice to ticketholder: By using this ticket you agree that: YOU ASSUME ALL RISKS AND DANGER of property damage, personal injury, death, and all other hazards related in any way to attending this event, anywhere in the facility and at all times, before, during or after the races. Dangers include flying objects, vehicles, other people conditions at the fabitlity and unforeseen hazards. You agree that NHRA, track owners and operators, racing participants, and each of their respective officers, owners, officials, sponcers, contractors, employees and agents shall not be liable for any loss, damage, or injury to you and you hereby release them from all claims. Be alert for hazards at all times.

My son was smacked in the head with a camera owned by a sports station covering the event, causing the concussion. Of course it was an accident and I don't want to sue. I just want them to pay for the $160.00 tickets we could not use the next day because of the injury and I want them to pay for the doctors bills, ambulanse (sp) ride, hospital bills and ct scan that was done. The race track says they arn't responcible for anything and sports center says the same. I am scared that my insurance will deny the claim after they get the report saying how it all happened. And if the racetrack isn't responcible and the sports center isn't responcible for the bill, that must mean I am.
Any comments?
Thanks

My response:

You said, "The race track says they arn't responcible for anything and sports center says the same."

You also said, "I don't want to sue."

Then you said, "Any comments?"

My comment - -

Then what do you expect from this forum?

IAAL

T

TazLady

Dear IAAL,

I asked a simple question. You asked for more detailed info. I gave it. I said, without trying to repeat myself, as I have read where the other posters get flamed for that, what I wanted from this. I wanted to know if a minor was held to the same contract as an adult in california. I said that all I wanted was for the event to pay the medical bills. While you can't tell me about the medical bills, I did ask a question to which I thought could be answered. You asked for EXACT wording of the ticket to which I complied. You had no comment on that. If you had no comment on that, then why did you ask for the wording?

I am not a "sue happy" person and am hoping that all this can be resolved without the use of attorneys. I don't understand why it is that you had to say "so what do you want from this forum" when the question was clearly laid out. Your comment sounded really snotty. I read through MANY postings before I posted so that I wouldn't make any mistakes and get flamed or had someone be snotty to me when they replied. Guess I was wrong.

Thanks anyway.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yes, minors "can" be held to their contracts - - depending upon their age, and the purpose of the contract.

However, I got past that point because you tied my hands and put lead weights in my shoes when you said, "I don't want to sue." You wrote that in your second post. Had you written that in your first post, I either wouldn't have responded at all, or I wouldn't have asked you to write the entire contract - - because there wouldn't have been any point.

Are you not understanding the implications of what you're writing?

If they are not taking responsibility, and will not pay your sons medicals, and you don't want to sue, then what is it you expect us to tell you?

No one was "flaming" you. I'm just commenting upon what you're writing.

IAAL

T

TazLady

Thank you again for your reply. I understand that by saying I don't want to sue I may have sent a mixed message. I am hoping that the place will cover the medical bills and that will be that. If not I understand that I will have no choice but to sue. My question was really does california law hold a minor to a contract. According to the back of the ticket, I have no right to sue period. At least thats the way I am interpeting it. I hope I am reading that wrong.

Thanks.

B

BrownWolfWoman

dear tazlady,

first and foremost i want to give you my condolieneces on your child's accident. I hope he/she is doing ok.second "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" should not be giving advice. He tried to flame me real bad. And said i was trailer park trash. If you don't mind give me an e-mail if you can so we can try to do something about this. Personally i feel people like that shouldn't be able to give advice if they act like that.

Sincerly,
BrownWolfWoman

my e-mail address is:
[email protected]
:)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

BrownWolfWoman said:
i was trailer park trash.
Sincerly,
BrownWolfWoman

=====================================

My response:

Actually, I said you were "trailer trash", not "trailer park trash." There is a difference. So, was I wrong? I mean, look what you did to yourself - - you bought a cheap trailer, with flat tires, and you didn't bother to check to see if the former owner owed lot rent, and the former owner owed 8 MONTHS worth of rent, and now the lot owner won't let you onto the property to remove the cheap trailer.

What would YOU call that?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">