• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing parts caused mor damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

turmbar

I live in pennsylvania and have a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Yesterday while backing my veichle up into my side yard, at only 2-4 mph, where I usually park, my car sunk a little into the soft ground, I had it in 4WD so I didn't worry too much and continued to back up. My front bumper cover caught on some mud and grass and was ripped off on one side. When I was tieing the bumper back into place I noticed 6 seperate screw holes but the were no screws and nothing to suggest there were any there before. I took it back to the dealership where I bought it and asked how it could have happened and what was supposed to be where the screw holes were. They didn't know what the holes were for and said because it was caught on something that they had no responsibility to repair it. I asked for an estimate and they sent me to their collision center. There they were able to tell me that the holes were for metal clips and screws and agreed that they were never there. I asked if the damage would have been lessened if they were there and he said he wasn't allowed to say. I then took it to another shop that wasn't connected with that dealership and asked the same questions. He said that the clips and screws were never there and he knew because there would still be some there or there would be damage to where they should have been. He aslo said that if they had been there, that at such a low speed and because it was only mud and grass, that i probably would have only loosende the bottom of the bumper cover, it would have not caused me to need a new bumper cover. Since those clips were missing and the damage would not have been so great if they had been there is the dealership or factory responsible for repairing the damage?

racer72

My neighbor has a vehicle just like yours so I just went over and took a look at it. Her's is a sport model and has a small 2-3" spoiler under the bumper cover. The bumper cover itself was attached with 6 fasteners across the top, 2 at each end and none on the bottom. The spoiler is held on with 12 plastic clips which go through holes in the bumper cover. I did not look real close, the weather outside is rather nasty at this time. You should see if you can find another vehicle like yours to see if it is the same as yours. Car manufacturers build there vehicles with provisions for accessories, that is all the holes your bumper may be.

T

turmbar

Thank for taking the time to look at you friend car in such nasty weather. I had bodyshops look at it. The both said the fastners were supposed to be there and added them in the estimate. The said ther should be 6 of them. Since the weren't there shouldnt the dealer or manufacture have to fix the damage?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">