• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom-to-Be: What are my rights as parent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LAfromKC

I'm expecting twins soon. I have definite wishes regarding the care of my newborns, for example I want them fed breast milk only, no silver nitrate in their eyes, Vitamin K administered only if indicated (and orally, not injected), no hepatitis B vaccination, etc. My doctor tells me that these things will be decided by hospital policy and that I have no say in the matter. Is this true? What are my rights as a parent regarding the post natal care of my babies? Can anyone help? I live in the state of Missouri... Thank you

P

PamSJS

Dear New Mom;

Why would you not want your babies to have these things? Whatever the reason, you need to speak with the hospital where your babies will be delivered. Most states have laws regarding the administration of Vitamin K and instilling antibiotics (I don't think anyone uses silver nitrate anymore) into the eyes. As far as breast feeding goes, that is strictly your decision, and the hospital will abide by your wishes. Just be sure and remind them when the twins are delivered.

Good luck & God Bless!

L

LAfromKC

The need for Vitamin K is rarely indicated and it is widely implicated as a cause of jaundice in newborns, however it can be administered orally (most doctors would rather just stick a needle into the baby). My babies are at no risk whatsoever of contracting Hepatitis B (they aren't sexually active and don't abuse IV drugs) and no long-term studies have been done on this vaccine, so I don't think it's wise to inject an infant who's 12 hours old with this toxin.
As for breast feeding, they will allow me to breastfeed, however if I deliver these twins prematurely or if weigh less than 5 pounds, they will be wisked away to the NICU and I will not have a chance to nurse them possibly for hours, during which time I have been informed that they will be fed some sort of formulated compounds made for babies born prematurely. I want to make sure that the only food that they receive during this time is colostrom from me, because that is what they will need.
My doctor says I must discuss it with the hospital but The hospital is giving me the brush-off when I call to discuss these things.
I need to know what I can do to protect my rights.

Thanks for your reply.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LAfromKC:
The need for Vitamin K is rarely indicated and it is widely implicated as a cause of jaundice in newborns, however it can be administered orally (most doctors would rather just stick a needle into the baby). My babies are at no risk whatsoever of contracting Hepatitis B (they aren't sexually active and don't abuse IV drugs) and no long-term studies have been done on this vaccine, so I don't think it's wise to inject an infant who's 12 hours old with this toxin.
As for breast feeding, they will allow me to breastfeed, however if I deliver these twins prematurely or if weigh less than 5 pounds, they will be wisked away to the NICU and I will not have a chance to nurse them possibly for hours, during which time I have been informed that they will be fed some sort of formulated compounds made for babies born prematurely. I want to make sure that the only food that they receive during this time is colostrom from me, because that is what they will need.
My doctor says I must discuss it with the hospital but The hospital is giving me the brush-off when I call to discuss these things.
I need to know what I can do to protect my rights.

Thanks for your reply.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is why my wife deliveried at home with a midwife. The horror stories we read about along with the US having the highest C-Section rate in the world just made the decision easier. All told, it was a great experience and so much better than any hospital.

L

LAfromKC

I wish! Unfortunately, midwifery has only recently become legal in my state and it's strictly regulated, and there's not a midwife around who will take me on in my "high risk" condition (twins)(in spite of the fact that my unborn babies are amazingly well-developed and healthy). The doctor tells me although she will let me attempt a vaginal delivery, there's a 75% chance I'll be delivering by C-section because once one twin is delivered the other usually turns breech and "hospital policy" dictates that breech babies be born by C-section. My wishes, apparently, have no bearing on the matter, and due to the insurance I have and the stage of pregnancy I am in I have no alternatives.
It's also not lost on me the fact that the United States has the highest infant mortality rate in the industrialized world (we're right up there with the Czech Republic) because HMO cost-effectiveness and malpractice prevention take precedence over judicious medical care. I would love to have my babies at home, but my husband is unsupportive of this idea (Doctor Knows Best).

Congratulations to you and your family!

P

PamSJS

Dear LA

My suggestion would be researching the state laws regarding this matter. You may be able to retrieve this information on the www under your particular state.

Unless your state does not regulate the administration of these meds to newborns, your only alternative would be to petition the court and you will need to have a lawyer for that.

I fully understand your concerns, but much of this has been blown way out of proportion. None the less, as an expectant mother, the decision should be yours, not the hospitals.

Best of luck to you and good health to your babies! They are very fortunate to have a mom who cares so much for them to go to such extremes.

Pam

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">