• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money for nothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

ysekulic

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My mom hit someone from behind in Florida but they were not hurt. My mom's insurance company was paying for all damages. However, that was not good enough for them so they are suing my mom. I know they are only doing that because my mom has a nice car so they just want to try to collect more money. My mom is having heart problems and with this lawsuit it has made her worse. Can I sue those people for unnecessary stress to the family and for lawsuit abuse?

H

hexeliebe

My mom hit someone from behind in Florida but they were not hurt. My mom's insurance company was paying for all damages. However, that was not good enough for them so they are suing my mom.
Which is their right.

I know they are only doing that because my mom has a nice car so they just want to try to collect more money
Really? Then present your PROOF here.

My mom is having heart problems and with this lawsuit it has made her worse. Can I sue those people for unnecessary stress to the family and for lawsuit abuse?
Yes, but you would lose. They have every right to sue your mother for expenses, pain and suffering NOT COVERED by her policy. Your filing a lawsuit because they are exercising their rights would not only cause you to lose, it would open you up to civil damages for filing of a frivilous lawsuit.

And one last thing, if you find an attorney to even think about filing such a suit, see what kind of track shoes he wears to chase ambulances.

Y

ysekulic

What to do?

What would you do if you were in that situation? Just sit back and let them run you over?

H

hexeliebe

If I was too stupid to advise my mother to hire an attorney then yes, I would sit by and let someone run over her.

Y

ysekulic

lawyer

Well the insurance company is sending a lawyer to represent her. What will he do? And what more can they get with a lawsuit if the insurance company had already tried to pay for everything?

H

hexeliebe

Well the insurance company is sending a lawyer to represent her.
And you didn't feel this was important enough to add to your ORIGINAL POST?

What will he do?
My crystal ball is in the shop.

And what more can they get with a lawsuit if the insurance company had already tried to pay for everything?
How in the hell do you expect anyone to answer that? Has the insurance company already paid their claims? If so, was the amount at or above your mother's coverage limit for the accident?

Geez man, why don't you ask your insurance attorney these question? At least they have a case file to look at and are intimatly involved with the case enough to give a legitimate answer.

Y

ysekulic

Well, I'm not a man I'm a woman and that is why I'm on here asking questions. Surely people that have gone through this must have some sort of idea of what can be expected.

K

kay1330

Expect to have to take responsibility for actions you make, and if your mother rear ended someone they probably did get hurt, but it didn't show up till later...

P

Pfaffing85690

Thank you for reviving this post Kay, I miss hearing the Hex's words of wisdom :D

K

kay1330

You are very welcome. It makes me so angry when people will not take responsibility for their actions, or when they try to point the finger at the injured and innocent.

Y

ysekulic

oh please!! She is taking responsibility and that is why she has full coverage auto insurance. That is also why it is called an accident because it was not intentional. It is also known that suing people is big business specially when you see the person that hit you has a nice car. You would not waiste your time if the person had a junky car. So heck ...why not try to get the most you can...it could be like winning a lottery! I've sure learned my lesson...if I ever get hit sue and try to get the most I can.

K

kay1330

Well if you live in michigan good luck trying to sue, no fault and all.
Accidents are the result of someone not paying attention, or just failing to use good judgement, but accidents don't just happen because of no reason, there is always fault. So why should the people paying attention following the rules and using good judgement have to be the only one to feel the pain.

Y

ysekulic

Well, I'm in Michigan but my family is in Florida. I think in their case both are at fault one for hitting and the other for throwing herself in front (not using good judgment unless intentional).

Why are you wasiting your time getting all worked up over this? If your mother has "full coverage" insurance, this should not be something to worry about. That is why insurance companies have attorneys and such. Let the insurance company do their job. I suspect your worries are being transferred to your mother, just reassure her that the insurance company will take care of everything. However, if she did not carry enough insurance, she will end up paying for the additional amount. Just make sure she increases her coverage after this is all over with.

Just a second thought, if your mother has a heart condition and this "stress" is causing so many problems, maybe she shouldn't be driving any more...

P

Pfaffing85690

Sounds like the "stress" is being caused by daughter-dearest :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">