• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motor vehicle accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smoothsaln

State: Wisconsin
I was broad-sided by a young man on March 2, 2000. He was driving admittedly without brakes and went through a 4-way. I have had months of chiropractic and PT appointments and now have been receiving injections into my neck and shoulder area for the pain. I am scheduled the beginning of June for a procedure that will "cut" the nerves with a laser needle to numb the area permanently. My question is this. The young man and I both had the same insurance company. He was insured for the minimum of $25,000 and we carry under/uninsured motorist for $100,000. The insurance adjustor contacted me today. He said he is mailing me a "release" to sign and that he would send me a check in the amount of $25,000. This would "release and close out" the young man's liability and would max his policy amount. The adjustor said that I then can file a claim against my policy, and could settle that at a later date when I have a Dr.'s release. Now, I have never heard of an insurance company being in a hurry to give you money. So, I can't help but be a little skeptical. Because my insurance agent is the same company, I cannot rely on him for advice either. The adjustor told me that I cannot file a claim for my policy's "underinsured" motorist until I sign off on the other policy because it is maxed. I asked how I know that once I sign off on the young man's policy that I will be able to "open" the file and file on my insurance policy. How do I know what is a fair settlement? How can I possibly put a price on the last 14 months of appointments, not being able to do many things I used to do, I gained 75# because I used to exercise & weight lift daily, and had been unable to. The medical bills by the way are being paid by my personal health insurance company through my employment. Will this affect the premiums for everyone? Can my insurance company get that paid back to them? I don't think I should be paying my deductable and filling up my maximum policy amount either! So, do I release his policy and his liability? He is young (17) and has nothing. I don't have any desire to sue him personally.
Thank you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">