• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sentorial

What is the name of your state? I am in Oregon, Accident was in Washington.

On 7/6/07 there were 4 of us riding motorcycles on a Forest Service Road.

We were not speeding, nor driving wreckless.

I came around a corner, and watched the guy in front of me jump a section of road.

I put on my brakes, gently, and my tire went into the crevice in the road that he jumped over.

I was thrown from my bike and ended up with a broken clavical, 2 broken ribs and a few stiches. As well as 1.5 days in the hospital and a 2 hour ambulance ride.

I was told to contact a lawyer about asking for reimbursement of my medical expenses as well as the motorcycle.

Is this feasable?

Here is a picture of the road. -Click Link-
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3328/roadvz4.jpg

I guess you'll have to copy and paste.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seek reimbursement from who (or is it whom?)
Seems to me you should be contacting your own insurance - it was your fault

You Are Guilty

My fault for driving on a 20 yard stretch of road not safe for motorcycles?
Yep. That's what law enforcement officers call "driving to fast for conditions." It's your job to ensure the road is free from obvious hazards. Had the road looked normal than crumbled under you as you rode on it, you might have a claim. For what you did, you'll need a mirror to find the person liable.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My fault for driving on a 20 yard stretch of road not safe for motorcycles?
4 motorcycles (in your group, I'd bet others had taken the road before you) - one crashed... Seems safe when proper precautions are taken...

I'm sorry that you were injured and your bike damaged...but the simple fact of the matter is that no one else is responsible in this situation.

But, talk to lawyers if you'd like. Maybe you can find one to take your case...and maybe the agency will settle rather than go to court. Just make sure your atty is working on contingency.

EDIT - I just looked at your picture again. There IS enough room to get by on a motorcycle.

FlyingRon

You might want to revisit taking an MSF course again. This is one of the things that they stress you must always be wary of when riding.

From their publication jointly with the NHTSA:

Watch the road surface and traffic ahead to anticipate problems and road hazards. Road hazards that are minor irritations for an automobile can be a major hazard for a rider. Hazards include potholes, oil slicks, puddles, debris or other objects on the roadway, ruts, uneven pavement, and railroad tracks. Painted roadway markings and manhole covers can be extremely slippery when wet. Go around most hazards. To do so safely, you must be able to spot such hazards from a distance. Slow down before reaching the obstacle and make sure you have enough room before changing direction. Railroad tracks should be crossed at an angle as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Betty

Did you report the accident to your ins. company? It seems you were responsible for the accident. Sorry the accident happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">