• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Accident - California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jdan007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi All,

On 3/28/2014 I was hit while on a motorcycle by another motorist who merged into my lane. I sustained a fractured rib and road rash plus damage to my motorcycle and gear. There were no witnesses but the police were called and responded. They interviewed me and the other party and the police report indicates the other party at fault for an unsafe lane change. I filed a claim with their insurance company who is currently investigating liability (they indicated that liability is disputed).

My question is: How long does a liability decision usually take? Am I entitled to know the progress of my claim, if so, by when? Should I send a demand letter for damages now or wait for a liability decision before proceeding? Is there a certain time by which they must alert me that they have accepted or denied my claim?

I am also wondering in general how aggressive to be with this guy's insurance company (is there any way to speed them up?). It of course appears to me very clear I was riding in the right lane and the other motorist carelessly merged into me (where the accident took place there is a cement wall rather than any shoulder, so there is no room to maneuver) but I wonder since there were no direct witnesses how strong the police report is as support.

Lastly, I did approach a personal injury attorney who recommended based on the case facts that I just proceed with the claim through his insurance rather than go through an attorney since 1) it seemed to him very clear the other party was at fault and 2) since the amount of the claim is small it may not be worth to hire a lawyer for a $15K claim, and only receive $10K vs. just receiving $10K on my own. He did offer to take my case either way and I was referred to him by one of his close associates so I feel his information was accurate. Is this wrong and should I go through a lawyer immediately?

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you have a situation of he said/she said. It would be best to go through your own insurance. Failing that, you may find you have a difficult task on your own or possibly will end up in a negative situation with a lawyer.

jdan007

It appears you have a situation of he said/she said. It would be best to go through your own insurance. Failing that, you may find you have a difficult task on your own or possibly will end up in a negative situation with a lawyer.
Does this hold true if the other party told the officer that they did not see me as well? (included in the police report)

ecmst12

Doesn't affect it one way or the other, the police report is not admissible evidence. Let them investigate.

justalayman

all the police report is going to contain is the facts as told to him by each of the parties, the the placement of the vehicles at the crash site and any associated things like skid marks and such and the weather and traffic conditions. The cop himself is not a witness to the accident so all he is for is to record the facts of the accident and based on that, give an initial cause of the accident based on his review of everything.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi All,

On 3/28/2014 I was hit while on a motorcycle by another motorist who merged into my lane. I sustained a fractured rib and road rash plus damage to my motorcycle and gear. There were no witnesses but the police were called and responded. They interviewed me and the other party and the police report indicates the other party at fault for an unsafe lane change. I filed a claim with their insurance company who is currently investigating liability (they indicated that liability is disputed).

My question is: How long does a liability decision usually take? Am I entitled to know the progress of my claim, if so, by when? Should I send a demand letter for damages now or wait for a liability decision before proceeding? Is there a certain time by which they must alert me that they have accepted or denied my claim?

I am also wondering in general how aggressive to be with this guy's insurance company (is there any way to speed them up?). It of course appears to me very clear I was riding in the right lane and the other motorist carelessly merged into me (where the accident took place there is a cement wall rather than any shoulder, so there is no room to maneuver) but I wonder since there were no direct witnesses how strong the police report is as support.

Lastly, I did approach a personal injury attorney who recommended based on the case facts that I just proceed with the claim through his insurance rather than go through an attorney since 1) it seemed to him very clear the other party was at fault and 2) since the amount of the claim is small it may not be worth to hire a lawyer for a $15K claim, and only receive $10K vs. just receiving $10K on my own. He did offer to take my case either way and I was referred to him by one of his close associates so I feel his information was accurate. Is this wrong and should I go through a lawyer immediately?
I noticed that the police report mentions an unsafe land change. Did the policeman issue a ticket to the other motorist for an unsafe lane change? If so, I would think you have a pretty solid claim. Even if a ticket wasn't issued, the fact that the police report indicates an unsafe lane change, seems to me to be a major issue in support of your claims. You should still let an attorney handle your case, however.

justalayman

I noticed that the police report mentions an unsafe land change. Did the policeman issue a ticket to the other motorist for an unsafe lane change? If so, I would think you have a pretty solid claim. Even if a ticket wasn't issued, the fact that the police report indicates an unsafe lane change, seems to me to be a major issue in support of your claims. You should still let an attorney handle your case, however.
At least until and if the claim is denied, there is absolutely no reason to involve a lawyer. For all anybody knows at the moment, the other guys insurance will conclude that their client was at fault, or at least apparent enough it is not worth it to deny the claim and will write a check to the op for the full amount of damages.

It's a bit too early in the process to get too worked up about getting a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">