• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident/need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ichjrj

What is the name of your state? California

Okay, here goes. I was riding my bike and got cut off by a guy attempting to make a u-turn on 23 Dec 04. I hit the brakes and ended up dropping my bike and going over the handlebars. The other guy was cited for an unsafe lane change. His insurance company sent me a letter saying an adjuster will come out and take pictures of my bike. I went to the ER the next day and saw my Primary Care the following week. I will see my PC next week for a followup and review the x-rays. My insurance says the other guy is 100% liable. What can I expect from the other guys insurance. I still have knee pain and two very sore wrists. Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

"Any advice will be appreciated."

Be exceptionally careful what you say to the other insurance company. I wouldn't talk to them if I were in your shoes. Don't sign anything until you are satisfied with what you are getting.

I am NOT a PI expert...maybe the insurance and PI people will give you some more help.

Mine is pretty general....

ichjrj

motorcycle accident/need advice

Thanks for the advice. I will wait and see what the insurance does with my bike.

JETX

ichjrj said:
What can I expect from the other guys insurance.
Property Damage: You can expect the lesser of the FMV (Fair Market Value) of your bike if it is totaled, or to have it repaired to its condition immediately prior to the accident.
Personal Injury: You can 'expect' reimbursement for your reasonable medical expenses, loss of wages and possibly some amount to compensate for 'pain and suffering'. How much?? No one can answer. Listen to what they offer (if anything) and then consider whether you think it is fair or not.

ichjrj

Thanks. I've had over a week to check the damages to my bike and it's around $2,000. That is what I see from the obvious damage to replace all the damaged parts. Labor will be a killer. My bike blue books around $4,000. I will take pictures before the adjuster comes around. I just want to get all my ducks lined up just in case. I even got a copy of the accident report. This forum is a good thing. Thanks again.

nanaII

I would hire an attorney

I would hire an attorney ASAP. Do not talk to the insurance company of the person who hit you. I would let the attorney do the negotiating. Granted, they get a percentage of what you will get, but if you do not know what to do, at least they can guide you. One thing I can offer from my own personal experience, and that is to make sure to completely follow through with all medical treatments. I quit mine because I couldn't get that much time off work, and it hurt me (financially) in the end. Five years later, and I still have problems with my neck, and there is nothing I can do about it.

JETX

nanaII said:
I would hire an attorney ASAP.
I disagree. There is no reason to run out and hire an attorney to represent you in an accident claim until you, at least, hear them out on their offer. If you don't feel it is a fair offer, THEN you should consider obtaining counsel.

ichjrj

I haven't gotten an attorney yet. The other insurance company wants me to sign over my medical records. At first I thought I should not but now I think they can't really make any kind of settlement without the information. There is no past medical conditions relating to my present injuries so all they will have is the new medical records. I still am in pain as I type this. I am getting kind of upset that no one has come around to check my bike. I don't want to whine but I will since I have all the pain and trouble of taking off from work for hospital appointments and a damaged motorcycle sitting in the garage. The other guy just calls his insurance and eats pie. (He had bought a pie at Marie Callenders before cutting me off) Oh well, I still appreciate all the advice.

JETX

ichjrj said:
The other insurance company wants me to sign over my medical records. At first I thought I should not but now I think they can't really make any kind of settlement without the information.
Their request is common.... and your reason is correct.... they would need to review the extent of injury.

ichjrj

So I guess I sign the consent form for the medical information and wait for them to decide what to do. Now where is that darn adjuster?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">