• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle accident question - Can I be found at fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burstun

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I was involved in motorcycle accident on Dec, 9 around 5:30pm and it was dark and light rain was falling. This is what happened:
I was driving home from work on Boradway (major street with 3 lanes for each direction) in the right lane going around 35 – 40km/h when I saw car lights coming out of Manitoba street (small side street) right into my lane. Intersection does have traffic lights and I remember them being green for me. Luckily I managed to move almost all the way into middle lane so I did not hit him straight on. He did however clip my back tire just enough for bike to turn enough to fall and send me flying. Good thing is I was going slow and had a full gear or this might have ended much worse. My gear does not have any damage as I was only sliding for few meters (even my rain jacket which is very thin waterproof textile) but my shoulder and neck hurts quite a bit from impact damage – I landed squarely on my left shoulder. Props go to people that were on sidewalk as they called ambulance and helped me get off the street and move my bike out of the way. Guy that hit me gave me his business card and stayed there until firemen came and then drove off so being dazed I forgot to get his driver license. Luckily for me one fireman got me his plate number and one lady gave me her name and phone number for witness. All in all I am OK and was released from emergency with prognosis that there are no broken bones. Yesterday I had meeting with adjustor from ICBC (insurance company that services everyone in my province) and told them everything as I remembered. They gave me call back today and told me that they contacted other person who told them he did not yet reported it because of long wait on telephone and that he also had a witness. Adjuster told him to call claim centre and make a claim as soon as possible so that case can proceed. And they told me my witness can not be reached until after New Year since they are on vacation.

My question is there any way they can pin this accident as it being partially my fault since I heard company likes to do that to increase their premiums. Only thing I can think they could try to say is that I was driving a lot faster than 50km/h limit and I believe that can be disproved as I was not sliding almost at all when I fell.

In case it makes any difference I am 23 and have had spotless driving record for last 7 years. I do only have my motorcycle license for about 6 months now.

Thank you on your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">