• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A motorcycle clipped my liscense plate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaurenMcKown

What is the name of your state? NJ, but it happened in PA.

I was driving from a friends house, and I went around the block because her street is a one way. I stopped at the stop sign, let cars pass, then I looked again, and went to pull out. there were cars up and down that road, back to back, and she was riding close to the cars. I pulled out between 1/4 and 1/2 of the way, and saw the motorcycle. I stopped, and she swerved, but her crash bar clipped my license plate. She did a sort of a flip with the bike landing on her leg, breaking it. Who would be at fault here? She's injured, but the accident reporters confirmed she hit my liscense plate.

LaurenMcKown

Clarification

She was heading south, and I was heading east. I stopped at the stop sign, but now the report says she was speeding, and failed to stop at the stop sign at the corner before. I was turning to head north. As soon as my line of vision cleared the grill of the other car I stopped(which made me about a quarter of the way into the street) I'm also scared because they had me move my car back, because the firetruck and the ambulance had to get through, and I picked up the bike off of her leg, giving them faulty readings. They also had to move the misc. parts from my car out of the middle of the street.

You Are Guilty

Report it to your insurance company; say nothing to no one about it (other than your insurance company and/or the lawyers they assign to you); take some driver's ed classes; and change the topic of this post to "I Ran Over A Motorcyclist".

LaurenMcKown

Honestly, thats what I figured, though, I didn't run her over, my car was stopped when she came into contact with it. My car was stopped about 20 seconds before she came into contact with it, and I was in the process of putting it into reverse. The officer that I spoke to today said he was talking to the accident reporters, and the accident reporter said that it was the other persons fault, so I guess I will just have to see. Thank you for your advice.

ecmst12

I don't see how it could NOT be your fault, regardless of what the motorcyclist did at the PREVIOUS intersection. At THIS intersection, you are the one who failed to yield; she was unable to avoid running into you when you unexpectedly entered her lane of travel.

You Are Guilty

I don't see how it could NOT be your fault, regardless of what the motorcyclist did at the PREVIOUS intersection. At THIS intersection, you are the one who failed to yield; she was unable to avoid running into you when you unexpectedly entered her lane of travel.
While I agree with you 100%, hypothetically speaking, if the OP can actually prove (good luck! :rolleyes:) that she was stopped "for 20 seconds" with the nose of her car in the intersection, then it is, in fact, the motorcyclist's fault for hitting her. )But as we all know the odds of anyone believing that she half-pulled into the intersection then stopped "for 20 seconds" is as close to zero as you can get, my advice remains "keep quiet and only speak to your lawyer".)

ecmst12

It doesn't take 20 seconds to put your car into reverse...if she hadn't even had time to change gears it must have been more like 2 seconds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">