• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorist with insurance hits uninsured motorist, motorcycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FLaLaw4107

What is the name of your state? FL

Last night I was westbound on a 4 lane street when another driver passed through a stop sign and failed to yield. This is a very busy 4 lane street and I had the right of way; there were no stoplights nearby. I swerved but still ran into the side of the car. My vehicle isn't a motorcycle but is considered one by FL law; a 200cc motorscooter.

The police officer took the report, cited her for failing to yield to the stop sign, and I received a copy of the report. It was not dark when the accident occured (about 6:10PM EST) but I was unable to take pictures before I or the other driver left the scene. The officer said I should contact their insurance co.; this would be civil and not criminal.

My motorscooter is undriveable because the fork is bent and there are large scratches on the paint and plastic (right side). Her vehicle was undamaged. In the morning I'm going to take pictures of the vehicle and have already called my 'scooter dealer to have them quote on repairs. Its an Italian motorscooter & very difficult to find parts for at other dealers. This could go against me when it comes time to settle.

I did not have bodily damage nor regular insurance on my motorscooter when this occurred. There is a large purple bruise on my leg but I was able to walk away from the accident. Friends helped me walk the motorscooter back to my GF's apartment which is a few blocks away. As for the drivers of the car, I have her full insurance info and need to know what to do at this point. I'd like to have them (her insurance co.) repair the motorscooter as soon as possible and be done with this.

There is no reason they cannot repair the damage and do so within a week? How long do you think it will take to settle this? I have not called a local attorney.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Their insurance company will need to investigate before agreeing to pay your claim. This investigation might be quick or it could take up to 30 days or more. You can pay for the repair and wait to be reimbursed if you have the means. Otherwise you have to report the claim to his insurance company and wait until they complete their investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">