• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

move to new state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ckerrianne

What is the name of your state?
I just moved from MA to NJ
after getting married in July. I've been covered in MA since, but recently mailed a payment in late and my policy was cancelled ( my fault, of course).
I know all about getting a new policy in NJ-I have a NJ driver's license now- ( they took my MA license) and my MA policy agency is willing to continue to cover me- as long as I keep my garaging address in MA- I still have MA plates and MA registration.

If I get in an accident- will my policy actually cover me ( I don't want to break any laws) - also - the coverage per year in NJ is about $1,600 more .
Thanks for any help! I can't get anyone to give me a straight answer!

C

ckerrianne

moved to new state

i was hoping to hear from somebody- anybody? i could really use some advice!!!:confused:

HomeGuru

ckerrianne said:
What is the name of your state?
I just moved from MA to NJ
after getting married in July. I've been covered in MA since, but recently mailed a payment in late and my policy was cancelled ( my fault, of course).
I know all about getting a new policy in NJ-I have a NJ driver's license now- ( they took my MA license) and my MA policy agency is willing to continue to cover me- as long as I keep my garaging address in MA- I still have MA plates and MA registration.

If I get in an accident- will my policy actually cover me ( I don't want to break any laws) - also - the coverage per year in NJ is about $1,600 more .
Thanks for any help! I can't get anyone to give me a straight answer!
**A: what did both of the insurance conpany's tell you? I find it hard to believe that reps from both will not give you a straight answer.

C

ckerrianne

been on the phone for about 6 hours today trying to get info on quotes, laws of coverage - basically, if a car is "garaged" in one place for more than 6 months out of the year, it's insurable in that state- since i'd be outright lying if i tried to claim that about MA, I'm going the high-road and getting insured in NJ-I don't think my insurance company would cover me if they found out i'm living in NJ. it'll cost almost $2,000 a year more- i guess that's the absurd price of living in a suburb of NYC
thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">