• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Ultrasounds performed on minor for kicks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

enragedmom

My neighbor is a licensed radiologist at a breat clinic in my town. She asked to take my daughter, 8 years old, to her office as she said she had some work to catch up on and was taking her own daughter with her. I allowed my daughter to go. She returned several hours later with a film containing six differetn images of her internal belly from ultrasounds given her by my neighbor! The woman irradiated my daughter six times for no reason other than giggles without my knowledge or consent.
I am enraged! I refused to have an ultrasound when I was pregnant with this child. My neighbor knows I won't even allow a microwave oven in my home. I refuse to take mamagrams because I know the radiation causes more cancers than the test detects. She knows this.
What recourse do I have against this idiot? Can her corporation be sued for malpractice or something? Do you know of any presedence in this area?
Thank you. I am very upset and don't know where to go.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by enragedmom:
My neighbor is a licensed radiologist at a breat clinic in my town. She asked to take my daughter, 8 years old, to her office as she said she had some work to catch up on and was taking her own daughter with her. I allowed my daughter to go. She returned several hours later with a film containing six differetn images of her internal belly from ultrasounds given her by my neighbor! The woman irradiated my daughter six times for no reason other than giggles without my knowledge or consent.
I am enraged! I refused to have an ultrasound when I was pregnant with this child. My neighbor knows I won't even allow a microwave oven in my home. I refuse to take mamagrams because I know the radiation causes more cancers than the test detects. She knows this.
What recourse do I have against this idiot? Can her corporation be sued for malpractice or something? Do you know of any presedence in this area?
Thank you. I am very upset and don't know where to go.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Your question got me wondering, so I decided to read some Clinical Studies and Follow-ups from the 50's to the present time. It was quite a lesson, to say the least. However, the sum and substance of the studies are that Ultrasound is safe, and with the exception of a little bit of heat produced by the transducer, there are no ill-effects.

But, that doesn't get your neighbor off the hook.

Your daughter, through you as Guardian ad Litem, has a cause of action for "Assault and Battery" - the unlawful touching of another.

The other problem will be proving damages. What damages has your daughter suffered. Unless you can prove that, and with expert testimony, it is unlikely your daughter could win a "bunch of money" - - probably has, what we in the profession call, "nuisance value" of a few hundred dollars.

It may be good enough for Small Claims court.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

PamSJS

Dear Enraged Mom;

Although you may not have a legal claim against this so called "idiot", you do have other options.

Contact your state medical licensing board and file a formal complaint against her. The incident will be investigated and she will probably be sanctioned or disciplined by the board.

If she did a medical procedure on your daughter without your knowledge and written consent, she has broken a very serious rule of the licensing board. And they take such things very seriously. I'd be willing to bet, she will think twice before she ever does something such as this again.

Best of luck to you and let us know what happens!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">