• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I sign insurance co. release to receive medical reimbursements?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flgirl

I live in Florida and my car was totaled last October, 2000; the accident was not my fault. I have settled on my car with the insurance company (the other driver and I have the same insurance provider), but the medical bills are pending. Before the insurance company will send me any money, they want me to sign a release stating that I will not make any future claims from this accident.

I think I have all the bills, but what if I don't? Just last week I received the bill from the emergency room visit. Do I have to sign this document to receive the monies due to me?

racer72

Ask for a waiver for any bills that may be pending. Hospitals and insurance companies can be very slow in getting the paperwork together for billing. They should be willing to give you at least 30 days, ask for 90 though. If they refuse, you have the right to wait to make sure you have recieved all the bills. But you will also be responsible for paying any bills due prior recieving the settlement from the insurance company.

Since you live in Florida and have insurance, your PIP covers 80% of your medical bills after any deductable. If the at-fault party has bodily injury liablity coverage then, at a minimum they are required to pay the 20% not covered under the PIP and the deductable, if any.

Contact the adjuster for your PIP claim and ask for a copy of the "payout sheet". The adjuster handling the PIP should not be the came one handling the BI claim. Then contact all of your medical providers to make sure there are no bills pending. You have 4 years from the date of the loss to settle the BI claim. If they are pushing you to sign a release for both the car and the injuries tell them you will sign a "Property Damage Release" now and the full release later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">