• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 18 year old son, accident, no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TikaMarie

What is the name of your state? PA

My son is 18 and does not have a permanent address. He walked out of my house and moved in with his father about 5 years ago... Since then, his father has thrown him out also. He now lives with what ever friend will let him stay at their house each night. He just recently started visiting me again.

I just got remarried in September and didn't need my old car anymore since I got a new one. I felt bad that he didn't have a car and gave it to him. At that time I immediately transferred it into his name, he got his own insurance (not through my insurance company). He paid his insurance for September, October, and November. But he didn't pay last month... It was due on the 21 of December. He rear ended someone on December 24th or 26th because of the snow. The police came. All info was exchanged, but my son never called his insurance company to report it. The ins. co. called my son's father and told him about it and said the person in the other car is now complaining of injuries (back and neck pain) and the ins. co. said they are not paying and he is cancelled.

Question #1:

The car is now parked in front of my house because he showed up at about 4 in the morning on January 3 with a flat tire and he has no job and no money to fix it. He stayed at my moms the rest of that night/morning. I want to make sure that I (or my new husband) will not be responsbile for any part of any of this since:

1. My son doesn't live with me (But last month changed his address to my
address at his insurance company only so his insurance papers would
come here since he has no address, but he gave them his father's ph. #)
2. He is 18
3. We never have anything to do with each other until he comes for a visit
when he is looking for something i.e. help. He is only here for a visit
maybe once every week or 2
4. He has no address

Question #2:

What will happen to him in this situation? Can he be arrested? Will they take his car and license away? How will the other people get their medicals paid? Even though we don't get along and I don't see him that often, I still care.

Lynx 36

Lucky f/ you since he is 18, and the car is in his name you are not legally responsible f/ him anymore. It's time f/ your son to grow up and learn a hard lesson.

Quote: "What will happen to him in this situation?" "Will they take his car and license away? How will the other people get their medicals paid?"

He will probably have to go to court f/ driving w/ no insurance. The judge will probably suspend his license until restitution is paid in full (probably will be ordered to mediation). Includes property damage, medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages. If he ever works his wages will be garnished. If and when he is sued he could probably file bankruptcy to keep the collectors off his back but he still won't drive again until he pays. I guy I work w/ had a sister-in-law who just got her license back after 16 yrs. She finally completed paying off her restitution. Unfortunately there isn't anything good about this I can say in relation to your son. His life is about to become a complete hell. Litigation, court appearances, more litigation. He deserves what is coming to him too. It certainly isn't the other drivers fault. They have a damaged car and alleged injuries, and are out b/c your son made an immature decision to drive w/o insurance, in the snow of all things!

Quote: "Can he be arrested?"

Doubtful, but that is the least of his worries. Your son is not starting his path to adulthood very well.

rmet4nzkx

You might suggest that your son join the military if he can then, when they seek restitution he will have a job to garnish wages from, learn a trade, and have food and shelter while he pays his debt, and he will have his own address.

stephenk

The military is no longer the dumping ground for problem young adults. If he is sued by the other party or their insurance company, the military will not accept him until his legal problems are resolved.

TikaMarie

Thank you

I want to thank everyone who replied... I have been trying to push the Air Force for him to learn a trade. He insists that is not an option since he has no interest. He really needs a "waking up" and this may do it. Thanks again.

rmet4nzkx

TikaMarie said:
I want to thank everyone who replied... I have been trying to push the Air Force for him to learn a trade. He insists that is not an option since he has no interest. He really needs a "waking up" and this may do it. Thanks again.
Was he hard to wean and potty train also?
Have his car towed, change the locks and return mail to sender, address unknown. Get tough and stay tough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">