• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boyfriend was rear-ended...no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shishkeberry

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My boyfriend was stopped at a red light when he was hit from behind. A 19 year old ran into another lady who was then pushed into my boyfriend's car. We don't have insurance because we were behind on some bills after my bf lost his job in June. Actually, we were just about to reapply for insurance, but we had to wait until August for funds.

Anyway, that's not important. I want to know if this will matter at all. It was clearly the 19 year old's fault. Like I said, my boyfriend was stopped at a red light. There were no injuries on our side (the lady in between the two cars was taken to the hospital for possible whiplash) and the car is still drive-able. The only problem that we can see is that the trunk won't open and there is some chipped paint.

Will our insurance status matter in this? Thank you in advance for the advice.

Last edited:

ecmst12

Nah, it shouldn't matter, but definitely try to get your insurance restarted as soon as possible!

The only problem you might have is that the at-fault driver probably only had minimum coverage, which is only $5k for property damage in PA. Since 2 cars were involved, the damage to both could end up exceeding the policy limit and you'd be out of pocket for some of it. If you had insurance with underinsured motorist and/or collision coverage, you wouldn't have to worry about this possibility.

Betty

Submit a claim to the at fault party's ins. co. & see what they will pay. Your boy friend not having ins. would not keep the at fault party's ins. co. from paying damages. Just hope that the 19 yr. old has enough ins. to cover the damage to your boy friend's car & the other car. It sounds like there wasn't a lot of damage to your boy friend's car - I don't know about the lady's car.

racer72

If a police report was made at the time of the accident, you boyfriend can also expect a letter from the state suspending hid driving priveliges. Such is the fate of those that don't follow the rules.

Shishkeberry

Thank you for the advice everyone. We have an appointment with a claims adjuster on Saturday.

Such is the fate of those that don't follow the rules.
Well, when it comes down to paying the rent or car insurance, rent is a little more important. It's not something we wanted to let lapse, but we had no choice.

Last edited:

moburkes

Thank you for the advice everyone. We have an appointment with a claims adjuster on Saturday.

Well, when it comes down to paying the rent or car insurance, rent is a little more important. It's not something we wanted to let lapse, but we had no choice.
I know what you're trying to say, but, I'm going to strongly disagree. If you don't pay the rent, you can find another place to live. If you cause a serious accident, and don't have the insurance to pay the $50,000 in claims, you'll have a hard time keeping your license, getting a vehicle, and getting a decent paycheck, since it will be garnished. Your credit will be ruined for a long time. You also might have medical bills that you can't pay, since your health insurance at work won't cover the bills from an auto accident.

Many of us have money difficulties. I am a single mother of 2 toddlers. I'd never go without auto insurance. Never. There are some things that you can be late on. and some things that you don't need. We'd eat beans and rice before I'd let my insurance lapse. A lapse in insurance could DEVASTATE you financially for the rest of your life. Being late on your rent usually doesn't have life long effects.

And, since the amount of money that you spend on rent is usually not the same as what you spend on insurance, I can't imagine that its pay rent or pay insurance. It might be pay internet or cable or credit card bill or grocery bill, but not usually pay rent or insurance.

CourtClerk

And so who says that you have to drive? Do the rest of us responsible people a favor and just park the car until you can afford to have it. That way if God forbid you cause an accident I don't have to take money out of MY pocket (also a single parent) to cover what should be YOUR expenses.

Many of us have money difficulties. I am a single mother of 2 toddlers. I'd never go without auto insurance. Never. There are some things that you can be late on. and some things that you don't need. We'd eat beans and rice before I'd let my insurance lapse. A lapse in insurance could DEVASTATE you financially for the rest of your life. Being late on your rent usually doesn't have life long effects.

And, since the amount of money that you spend on rent is usually not the same as what you spend on insurance, I can't imagine that its pay rent or pay insurance. It might be pay internet or cable or credit card bill or grocery bill, but not usually pay rent or insurance.
Exactly...

Shishkeberry

*shrug*

Well, we all do what we think is best for our own family. This is what we thought was best. I understand why you wouldn't agree and that's ok. I don't feel guilty about it, however.

And, since the amount of money that you spend on rent is usually not the same as what you spend on insurance, I can't imagine that its pay rent or pay insurance.
If we had paid our insurance, we wouldn't have been able to afford our rent. I'm not sure how it could be any more clear than that.

moburkes

Its interesting that you feel that way. If the party that caused the accident didn't have insurance because they paid their rent instead you will feel differently, I'm sure.

The way you tell it, you have 2 bills. Rent and insurance. No grocery budget that could be reduced, no vehicle that could be traded in for a less expensive vehicle, no utility bills that could be lowered, no TV or internet or telephone service or cell phone that can be disconnected. Wow! Interesting.

alnorth

If we had paid our insurance, we wouldn't have been able to afford our rent. I'm not sure how it could be any more clear than that.
In that case, I assume you have no cable TV, no entertainment expenses, you buy only the absolute basic staples from the grocery store, and your typing from the local library for lack of internet service, etc. If not, then you chose to pay for one of those things instead of insurance. We are saying that insurance is right up at the top, at least as important as rent.

P

Pat88998899

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My boyfriend was stopped at a red light when he was hit from behind. A 19 year old ran into another lady who was then pushed into my boyfriend's car. We don't have insurance because we were behind on some bills after my bf lost his job in June. Actually, we were just about to reapply for insurance, but we had to wait until August for funds.

Anyway, that's not important. I want to know if this will matter at all. It was clearly the 19 year old's fault. Like I said, my boyfriend was stopped at a red light. There were no injuries on our side (the lady in between the two cars was taken to the hospital for possible whiplash) and the car is still drive-able. The only problem that we can see is that the trunk won't open and there is some chipped paint.

Will our insurance status matter in this? Thank you in advance for the advice.
In Massachusetts, if a person who is uninsured is in an accident that is clearly not his/her fault, he is legally at fault because he has no insurance. I thought that most states had this same law, but apparently not.

Happy Trails

In Massachusetts, if a person who is uninsured is in an accident that is clearly not his/her fault, he is legally at fault because he has no insurance. I thought that most states had this same law, but apparently not.
I would be interested in seeing some proof to back that statement up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">