• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My brother is being sued for a car accident while driving his company's truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

des0607

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ****land

My brother was summond today for a car accident he was involved in November of 2003.

He was driving the company truck when he rear ended the plaintiffs.
The company truck he was driving is a ford F350

He and his company are being sued jointly for One Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($1,500,000.00).

What will happen to my brother, he only makes $13.00 per hour. Please help, we are very worried.

thank-you

S

shell007

des0607 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ****land

My brother was summond today for a car accident he was involved in November of 2003.

He was driving the company truck when he rear ended the plaintiffs.
The company truck he was driving is a ford F350

He and his company are being sued jointly for One Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($1,500,000.00).

What will happen to my brother, he only makes $13.00 per hour. Please help, we are very worried.

thank-you
In M A R Y land...the statute of limitations for personal injury is three years.

If the truck was insured...the insurance company will pay up to the limits of the policy that was in place if they have accepted liability for the accident. Any $$$ judgement above and beyond the policy limits may be your brother's responsibility to pay out of pocket.

Stand by for more advice from others. If I am wrong...I will be corrected! :)

S

shell007

In addition...the insurance company may also supply an attorney in your brother's defence if this accident is going to be disputed.

des0607

My brother is being sued for a car accident in the company truck.

****land

Thank-you for your reply and I understand what you have stated. My question is if what the cost exceeds what the insurance is willing to pay and he does have to pay out of pocket and it is hundreds of thousands of dollars that he does not have. Again, he only makes $13.00 per hour and does not own a home or any other assets. How can someone pay that does not have the money?

Thank-you

S

shell007

des0607 said:
****land

Thank-you for your reply and I understand what you have stated. My question is if what the cost exceeds what the insurance is willing to pay and he does have to pay out of pocket and it is hundreds of thousands of dollars that he does not have. Again, he only makes $13.00 per hour and does not own a home or any other assets. How can someone pay that does not have the money?

Thank-you
There is a real good possibility that they could garnish his wages and take whatever he does own (if anything)

On the other hand...what they are asking for and what they will settle for are two very different things. Just keep that in mind! :)

There is a Senior Poster here who always states the following: Ask for the farm...you might get the goat!

Sorry SeniorJudge! :(

zippysgoddess

Yep, and it is often common, smart, and recommended by most attorneys, to ask for 3 times what you actually want, and would settle for!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">