• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Car was confiscated and impounded by the police for vehicle identity theft! Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MIKER92704

What is the name of your state? California

I purchased a vehicle from a private party 1 year ago. It was an out of state vehicle. I researched the vehicle through all avenues available as a consumer, carfax etc., Title came back clean everything was good to go. I got a relatively good deal at the time. I assumed because of the wear @ tear the owner had put it through driving it out from the east coast. I registered it and had it inspected by the DMV to make sure it everything was alright with the vehicle paid the registration fees and obtained my financing. I then proceeded to take it to the nearest bmw dealer to have a 30 point inspection. They said everything was fine.

My car needed maintenance so I took it to the same dealer again. Only to receive a phone call later that day advising me that my car had been stolen out of New York and the police had come to impound it. After meeting with the police I was informed that the vehicle is no longer mine and I am responsible for what ever is outstanding in regards what is owed. I was also informed the reason I cannot have my vehicle back is because it belongs to someone back in new York.

My question is this if I truly cannot get it back from the police due to the fact it belonged to someone else. They the original victims have already more than likely re-couped there loss through insurance. So then why legally can I not have what I have legally obtained if the police will more than likely re-sell it themselves? Secondly is there any consumer laws to protect one against such a thing? If my insurance is not willing to cover my loss what re-course do I have as any? Any body input would be appreciated tremendously!

JETX

MIKER92704 said:
My question is this if I truly cannot get it back from the police due to the fact it belonged to someone else.
That is correct. The vehicle is returned to its legal owner (the victim).

They the original victims have already more than likely re-couped there loss through insurance.
If that were true, the insurance company would have the title in their name. The fact that it is still in the owners name would indicate that there wasn't insurance... or insurance didn't cover the claim for some reason.

So then why legally can I not have what I have legally obtained if the police will more than likely re-sell it themselves?
First, your assumptions are all wrong (see above). Further, you have NO evidence (or support) for your claim that the police are going to profit or even sell the vehicle.
Finally, since the vehicle was stolen and then sold to you.... the thief never had the legal right (ownership) to sell it.... and thereby, YOUR purchase was void. You never had LEGAL ownership or right to the vehicle.

Secondly is there any consumer laws to protect one against such a thing?
Nope.

If my insurance is not willing to cover my loss what re-course do I have as any?
Your only recourse is to make a demand on the person YOU bought from.... and sue him/her if needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">