• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My car was stolen and impounded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Laurie Lewis

My car was stolen from my driveway on 8/18. I was notified on 8/24 that it had been towed and impounded. I finally was able to get the release and the police report today.The report states the car was parked and secured in my driveway, that I have the only set of keys, and that it was taken without my permission. my question is How can I reclaim my car and not have to pay the $500.+ fees- I'll have to just let it go. Thanks This is in Alameda County, California.

CdwJava

The impound fee is generally paid by insurance. however, if it was not inusred for theft, the best you can do is beg with the tow company and ask that they drop their fees.

The tow company is permitted to charge a reasonable impound and storage fee. $500 for 6 days sounds excessive to me. Ask them for a breakdown of the fees ... I would assume a MAX of about $350 if they had it for all 6 days. The fees should only be for the hook and tow, and daily storage.

- Carl

Laurie Lewis

In other words, I just let the yard have it- I've been working on this car for over a year and I just don't have the cash.

CdwJava

Laurie Lewis said:
In other words, I just let the yard have it- I've been working on this car for over a year and I just don't have the cash.
Call them up and ask them what you need to do to give it to them. If you wait too long, they can have the car and you might STILL owe them money.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">