• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Car was Totaled!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artbuc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Our car was legally parked and unattended. A 95 year old man lost control of his car and broadsided our car driving into the car parked next to it. The investigating officer figures the driver was going 30-35 mph at impact. Fortunately my wife and her friend were in the restaurant at the time. If they had been getting into the car, they would have been killed instantly.

Miraculously, the driver wasn't hurt. His airbag deployed and he was wearing his seatbelt. The investigating officer did not give him a sobreity test and drove him home. It is a very small town and the driver is a prominent member of the community. He lives with his daughter who is a well know doctor.

The driver's insurance company authorized my claim in less than 24 hours. They are going after Toyota saying the driver's accelerator stuck. The driven vehicle was a 96 Toyota Avalon which has not been remotely connected to the current Toyota acceleration issue. The insurance agent could hardly keep a straight face when she told me they were going after Toyota.

I expect my car is totaled. I also expect the insurance offer will be considerably less than the value of the car. I say that because my car is 11 years. I bought it as a Christmas present for my wife in 1998. I am retired and my favorite hobby is car maintenance/repair. I kept the car in perfect mechanical condition so my wife would never be stranded, often replacing good parts just to increase reliability. I also did a professional detailing 2x per year. The detailing processs took 2 days and, at 11 years old, the car's paint looked like it just came out of the showroom.

Here are my questions:

1. Is the insurance company offer negotiable or will it be a fixed number based simply on the type of vehicle, its age and mileage? Will I get any credit for its superior condition?

2. Does the driver have any liability beyond what his insurance company has? Ie, if I can show that my car is worth $15k and the insurance company only offers me $10k, can I go after the driver for the $5k difference?

3. My wife was not injured but she is VERY upset thinking about how close she and her friend came to getting killed and also about losing a car that I gave her for Christmas and worked so hard to keep nice for her. Can I sue for pain and suffering? I'm not inclined to do that but I want to know if that is an option.

Thank-you.

FlyingRon

1. Is the insurance company offer negotiable or will it be a fixed number based simply on the type of vehicle, its age and mileage? Will I get any credit for its superior condition?
The stock number is the model / milage with average condition. You can argue better than average condition, but the range of values probably still won't be what you would want, but often if you show new (recent) parts, you can get a bit more. I got money on my truck when it was totaled because the tires were new.
2. Does the driver have any liability beyond what his insurance company has? Ie, if I can show that my car is worth $15k and the insurance company only offers me $10k, can I go after the driver for the $5k difference?
Probably not. Usually to take the check from the insurance company you have to release further claims. Your other option is to reject the insurance offer and sue the driver. His insurance will pay up to their limits and then you can try to collect from him.
3. My wife was not injured but she is VERY upset thinking about how close she and her friend came to getting killed and also about losing a car that I gave her for Christmas and worked so hard to keep nice for her. Can I sue for pain and suffering? I'm not inclined to do that but I want to know if that is an option.
No. Well I mean, you can sue, but I guarantee you will not win.

ecmst12

Your offer will be based on your particular car and the actual condition it was in prior to the accident. If it was in better then average condition, that should be taken into account. But a car that age is just not going to be worth what you think it is. It will NOT be worth anywhere near $15k and probably even less then $5k (which is the minimum coverage in PA).

You do not get pain and suffering if you were not injured.

The driver has responsibility for the full amount. However, the insurance company is not going to give you the $10K unless you sign a release against the insured. (Absent clear liability and policy limits having been reached. Even then they may or may not depending on the circumstances.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">