• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My daughter got hit in the eye by a boy at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yan9993

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

On Friday 2/20/2004 after school before boarding the school bus, my daughter(11 years old six grader) was hit by a boy right into the left eye.

Medical Condition:
Her left eye and surrounding area swell very bad and all blue and also there is a red cut on her face because she wears glasses and glasses cut into the skin. This last from Friday night until Sunday morning that her eye starts bleeding and bleeding going towards cornea very fast and close. On Monday morning bleeding almost touch the cornea that is when I took her the children’s hospital emergency room. A doctor took a look at her without using proper machine and said she is OK there is nothing else they can do except watching to see if she has vision loss and headache in the next week and it takes at least a week or two to absorb the blood.

Talk to School
After coming back from children’s hospital ER, I took my daughter to school and talked to principle.
The first thing principle said is she talked to nurse and secretary in the office, nobody got a report from my daughter said she is injured. My daughter said “I want to catch the bus”

Two different stories from my daughter and the boy
Second she ask my daughter what happened My daughter said the boy swung the arm at her since they are walking towards school bus so close(they are still in the hallway). So the principle called the boy in and the boy said my daughter grabbed his backpack and then he swung his arm and hit my daughter ACCIDENTLY (he said they are outside already). While he is speaking my daughter says “no I did not grab your backpack”.

Principle’s reaction
Principle let the boy go and then said “Your daughter started this and the boy was just trying to get the book bag back and hit her accidentally by the elbow.
They both agree no other people or student in the hall witness what happened
My reaction is what makes her believe that boy’s story instead of my daughter’s story without any witness. This makes me really mad!!!!!!!! I did told her that and she said she is not saying anybody is lying she thinks this is an accident.
She also said she can notify the family the their son injury my daughter accidentally. And after I left I received another call from the principle she said she talked to the boy again boy said he felt like somebody grab his bag and he used his arm to try to grab it back instead of turning around and look what was going on. And she said school has already notified the parents and it has been determined as an accident!!!

Filed report at police station
After I left school I took my daughter and filed police report they took my daughter’s picture and kept them in file and they talked to the boy and the parents the same night and still two different stories and nothing that much they can do. They said I have the right to go further like district of justice for civil law suit or if I am not satisfied with school I can talk to school and see if problem could be solved etc………

My question

· Who will be responsible for the medical bill?
· What is school’s responsibility? Do they have wrongdoing in this case?
· What should I do?
· What happens if my daughter has scar on her face? What happens if my daughter’s eye is damaged permanently(it is too early to tell)?

Pls HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to School

P

Pfaffing85690

Who will be responsible for the medical bill?
You AND the child's parents.

What is school’s responsibility? Do they have wrongdoing in this case?
Not that I can see.

What should I do?
Call the boy's parents and ask what they intend to do about your daughter's injuries. Depending on their answer and the cost of medical care, find an attorney or file against them in small claims court.

What happens if my daughter has scar on her face? What happens if my daughter’s eye is damaged permanently(it is too early to tell)?
No one can tell you that except an attorney sitting across the table from you with a complete review of the facts and interviewing all parties AND a crystal ball.

yan9993

thank you for the reply, i really appreciate it!!!
So far i haven't heard anything from the boy's parents(the boy who hit my daughter) and i don't think they will contact me. They just don't care. Police officer have already went to their home and talked to the boy and parents and still no response!!!

I am afraid that this accident will leave a scar on my daughter's face because the when he punched my daughter, the glasses my daughter was wearing was into the skin.

I need people's professional opinion!!! I haven't talked to any attorney yet. For the past several days i cared about my daughter's eye the most. I thought once her eye is getting better and i still haven't heard anything from the boy's parents i will talk to attorney or i can just go district of justice directly?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">