• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My fault - parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pandora32

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Today while I was backing out of a parking spot, I backed into the rear of a parked vehicle. I was going very slowly and stopped the car as soon as I heard (and felt) contact.

I parked, got out, we (the other driver & I) looked for damage to her car. She pointed out a scratch (covered in dust) that ran along the right side of the car. There's no way I caused that. There was another vehicle parked to her right already in the space - there's no physical way my car could have scraped down the right side of her car. I would have had to have pushed the other car out of the way. What I did find and pointed out to her, was a 4-5 inch area of paint missing off the right side of her bumper - no dents. There was even the trace of my rubber bumper on this area.

I asked if she wanted to exchange insurance info and she did. She asked for my name and insurance policy number. I got the registered car owner's name and their insurance policy number but honestly was too rattled (as this is my first ever accident) to get the make and model of the car (other than it was a red minivan) and her name or phone number.

The police weren't called - so no police report was filed then.

My question is - should I put in a claim for my insurance company or wait until (and if) *they* file a claim. I worry about my insurance premiums going up because this was my fault even though it was a minor accident (plus my deductible is $1000).

My real worry is that - since I wasn't able to get photos and I didn't have a witness - they will try to claim the more extensive damage that was already there was caused by me.

Should I go ahead and file a claim with my insurance company or wait to see what they do?

Thanks!

KWhat is the name of your state?

Betty

You can wait & see if a claim is filed but it would be best if you called your ins. co. & reported the accident. If they do get a call, that way they will already have a report of the accident. Just explain the situation to them & give them whatever information you do have.

ecmst12

NC may be different, but in PA, your insurance doesn't go up unless your insurance company has to pay more then X amount in property damage in an accident that was your fault. I don't remember what X is exactly but I think it's like $1100? Anyway if they have to pay less then that, your insurance doesn't go up. It goes on your record and if you have too many accidents they might non-renew or cancel your policy, but you won't get the surcharge. Read through your insurance policy booklet and see if it says anything like that.

Also your deductible shouldn't apply to your liability coverage; it should only apply to collision/comprehensive coverage you have on YOUR car. The whole point of (most) states requiring liability coverage is so that if you damage someone's car, they don't have to worry about you not having the money to fix it; it wouldn't make sense to have a deductible on this coverage.

Anyway I also think you should pro-actively contact your insurance company and give them a statement about the accident; that way if she contradicts it later, you'll be on record with your side of the story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">