• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my lawyer a bs one? Is this a bad settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brooklynsfate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

Last March, me and my fiancee got hit by a drunk 21 year old driver. he hit us on the side and sent us flying across 3 lanes and we smashed into a cement divider. This totaled my car and left me and my fiancee injured. he was arrested on the scene ( tryed to get away but his suv flipped 50 feet away from us)

now we have been going to therapy 3 days a week, sometimes 4 if needed for 8 months now, and i got a settlement offer for 16,500 and my wife got one for 10,000? is it supposed to be this low considering what we both have been through and our injuries? I have herniated discs in my back and bulging discs in my neck and some nerve damage. my fiancee has a bulging disk and is now showing signs of carpotunnel (sp) syndrome

this is also the first time we've seen our lawyer since we have been hurt and basically told us this is all we can get because he has the minimal amount of insurance he could get and he has no assets etc... and basically the lawyer was talking down to us for our lack of money. basically he was belittling us.... is their anything i can do on this?

ecmst12

If you are still treating, you shouldn't be settling.

8 months is a really long time to be in PT 3 times per week. If the PT hasn't helped by now, it's time to start thinking about more aggressive treatment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">