• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my legally parked car got hit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Snypa2k2

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Ok heres the story. Early yesterday morning I was woken up by a family member stating that my car was hit. I'm not insured at the moment (insurance lapsed) so I was worried even tho my car is legally parked (more than 30 feet from the stop sign). The driver confronted me at my door, i was glad to hear she nor her child was hurt. After immediatately grabbing her info, I checked the damage of my vehical. I was sideswiped, causing damage to the driver door, front driver fender and some bumper/left headlight damage. Im not to sure about any internal damages since i wanted to get pictures before I touch or even move the car. Later that day I was contacted by the other partys insurance adjuster asking if i could get 2 qoutes to for them. Since this is my first accident and since my car wasnt really in top condition (1986 oldsmobile cutlass supreme), What kind of offer will I expect to hear coming from they insurance adjuster after geting the qoutes. I have asked a few family members who had been in accidents and they were saying that mostlikely the damage will go over the blue book value of the car, which they will likely offer the value of the car, tow the car and consider it totaled? should i seek a lawyer considering that the/my car was for emergancy incase my child needed to go to the hospital? any oppinions or legal advice more than welcome

K

knotcops

Firsts, let me say, your an idiot for not carrying insurance. when will you people learn. Think yourself lucky.

If the total damage exceeds the fair market value of the vehicle, it will be totaled and you will receive the value determined. Paying attorney at this point would be a waste of money since there is no personal injury involved. The car being for emergencies is irrelevent.

S

Snypa2k2

regardless if i have insurance or not, I wasnt in the car, so having insurance wouldnt have mattered.

xrevvyx

Actually, I believe in my state that a car that is not insured (or registered - although that's not YOUR case) can not be on the road at all - that includes PARKED - I guess because the road is public property and you would have to MOVE the car for street cleaning etc -

yea and with no insurance - the most you'll get for an 18 year old 'emergency' car is probably not going to be enough 'emergency' bus fare for 2.

bijou-MP5

Having insurance or not doesn't determine who's fault it is...
however!!!!! if you don't have insurance...that is really bad...

I had accident in back in Jan and didn't have insurance either, I hired attorney, luckly I was not charged anything for any tickets, and it was other party's fault.
My attorney is still working on this case get money back...
if I had an insurance that time...then this case should been over long time ago.

GET A INSURANCE!!! at least Liablility

S

Snypa2k2

however, I was legally parked, more than 30 feet from a stopped sign on a side of the street where there isnt a sign saying that i cant park. Where i park, there is a 3 foot indent with gravel specifically for parkingand my plates wasnt expired. So in my state, the only time you need to have insurance on your car is when you drive it, not when its legally parked and you was sleeping.

racer72

You haven't heard the worst part yet. When the insurance company finds out they are dealing with an uninsured vehicle, they will notify the state and your driving priveliges will be suspended. You will also be required to file an SR22 filing to get your license reinstated which means you will have to have insurance even if you don't own a car. But if you don't have a car anymore you won't need a license either.

So in my state, the only time you need to have insurance on your car is when you drive it, not when its legally parked and you was sleeping.
You are wrong. From Ohio statutue 4509.10.1:

A)(1) No person shall operate, or permit the operation of, a motor vehicle in this state, unless proof of financial responsibility is maintained continuously throughout the registration period with respect to that vehicle, or, in the case of a driver who is not the owner, with respect to that driver's operation of that vehicle.

See the part about "maintained continuously throughout the registration period"? That mean even when the car is legally parked and you are sleeping.

JETX

Wow, this thing as certainly become a 'get insurance' issue instead of its original post.... huh??

Okay, lets button this up.

1) You SHOULD have insurance on this car and it is relevant. For example, yes it was parked, but you were extremely lucky that the other driver stopped and gave you her information. If she hadn't (making it a hit and run), your insurance (if you had it) would have covered your damages. Further, your claim that this vehicle was only for 'emergency use', certainly shows that you were driving it without insurance!!

2) Your post makes NO mention of there being a police report made. Simply, she gave you here information and an insurance claim was made. If this is correct, there is little (if any) chance that your insurance status will even become an issue.

3) Assuming that the other parties insurance accepts liability, they are obligated to give you 'fair market value' for your car, immediately prior to their policyholder causing the damage. So, if your car is a undrivable rusty hulk, you will at best get salvage value. Got to the NADA (www.nada.com/) or Kelly Blue Book (www.kbb.com/) websites and try to get an idea of the value they might offer. You should also do an online search to see if you can find any CURRENT LOCAL ads for the same or similar model in the same condition and mileage.
It is important for you to understand now, that most people are NOT happy with the amount offered.

M

macktosh

Snypa2k2 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Ok heres the story. any oppinions or legal advice more than welcome
Ummmmmmm

Since you dont have insurance, chances are if the other driver or YOU report this , DMV will find out and suspend your drivers license for not having insurance, since the car was parked on the street.

So my advice is SHUT UP, and pay for the damages out of your own pocket. And maybe DMV will not catch you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">