• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my son covered on my insurance if he has a permit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Betty Rice

What is the name of your state? I live in Indiana and my son recently got his drivers permit through an expensive drivers education class at his high school. When I told my insurance provider about my sons permit, my auto insurance more than doubled. They told me that if I came in and signed a paper excluding him off my policy the price would go back down. He has never been in an accident and neither have I. I couldn't afford the higher rate so I signed the paper. I asked the mothers of the other boys that took drivers ed and they said their insurance did not go up. One of the mothers works at an auto insurance company and she said my insurance should not have gone up just because my son has his permit. She said that is what a drivers permit is for ..to let your child drive on your insurance. Is she right? Is my insurance company ripping me off? Are they doing something unlawful? What can I do about it, short of changing companies? I am paid up for six months at the lower premium. I cannot afford to pay the higher premium and my son will never get his license if he doens't practice. I would appreciate any suggestions. [email protected]

H

hexeliebe

There is no law about what an insurance company can charge for a teen driver as long as they charge the same rates for the same situations across the board.

It sounds like you need to go insurance shopping.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">