• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It WAS my wife's fault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cjmj

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Colorado

When pulling into a parking spot my wife scraped an unattended parked car. She left a note with her name and phone number and we’re trying to get this thing settled. The guy she hit went to the dealer and got an appraisal for $1250. What are my options? (I really don’t want to turn it over to my insurance if at all possible)

He will only get one appraisal – do I have the right to ask that he get additional appraisals knowing that repairs at a dealer are usually far more expensive than a standard body shop?

Do I have the right to offer a reduced settlement… say $800 hoping he takes it? Any ideas on how to position this?

Can I ask that his insurance cover the damage and I will pay his deductable?

My wife insists that she only made one small mark on his car “the size of a silver dollar”… the appraisal is saying they are replacing two panels and a broken tail light. Unfortunately my wife didn’t take any pictures at the time of the accident. Do we have any ground to stand on?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lynx 36

Quote: "He will only get one appraisal – do I have the right to ask that he get additional appraisals knowing that repairs at a dealer are usually far more expensive than a standard body shop?"

No. He can choose where he gets his car fixed. Dealerships aren't necessarily more expensive. Sometimes the Mom & Pop bodyshop will gouge you as well.

Quote: "Do I have the right to offer a reduced settlement… say $800 hoping he takes it? Any ideas on how to position this?'

Yes, ask him if he plans on actually getting the car fixed. You can offer lower to see if he will settle. Why not? All he can say is no. If he does settle make sure he signs a property damage release to release you from future liability.

Quote: "Can I ask that his insurance cover the damage and I will pay his deductable?'

You can, but not a good idea. His insurance company will come back on you eventually f/ reimbursement of PD they had to pay out.

Quote: "My wife insists that she only made one small mark on his car “the size of a silver dollar”… the appraisal is saying they are replacing two panels and a broken tail light. Unfortunately my wife didn’t take any pictures at the time of the accident. Do we have any ground to stand on?"

Absolutely. You are only required to pay f/ the damage done by your wife. You are not required to pay f/ previous damage on the vehicle. For example, if your wife hit him on the door and he is trying to get a taillight replaced you are not required to pay f/ that. If he were to try that w/ an insurance company, this is what we call insurance fraud.

Agree to pay f/ only the damage done by your wife and no more. If he refuses to settle w/ you turn it into your insurance company and tell them exactly where the damage was on the car. They will only pay him f/ the damage your wife said she did. Any experienced adjustor will be able to tell if there is only a small dent on the side, that the taillight wasn't involved.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">