• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

naf accident showing on driving record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelskrazy

What is the name of your state? texas

back in year 2005 I was rear ended, and the other driver was found at fault. However when getting insurance with a new company they ran my license number and I did not receive the lowest rate of insurance because the accident is showing but only it says not at fault accident and the date.....my question is..*****??? if that isnt supposed to affect my insurance and rates ....its obvious to tell that it is affecting it somehow.....because i clearly didnt get the discount.... HOW IS THIS LEGAL TO BE SHOWING ? NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE HELP ANYONE!!

CraigFL

...if that isnt supposed to affect my insurance and rates ...
Did that company tell you it wasn't going to affect your insurance rates? It doesn't surprise me that ALL accidents affect insurance rates because even thought the accident wasn't your fault you may have had some influence over it happening-- where you drive or how you drive-- just a statistical thing.

angelskrazy;1812168....HOW IS THIS LEGAL TO BE SHOWING ?...[/QUOTE said:
I would expect your driving record to show all happenings with regard to your driver's license... Does Texas have a law that says otherwise?

ecmst12

You'd need to talk to the agent and/or underwriter for more information, but yes, being involved in an accident can affect your rates even if you were not at fault. If the discount specifies "no accidents", then you would not qualify for it.

racer72

Bet your insurance company got the information from Choice Point. They are like a credit reporting agency accept they deal with insurance issues. My insurance was just as suddenly raised recently due to information supplied by Choice Point and like you, I was not at fault for the accident back in 2006. CP claims the info they are supplying is correct, that I was in an accident. I just contacted my state's insurance commissioner and filed a claim. Go to the Choice Point website and get a copy of your report. I'm giving my insurance company till this Thursday to reverse their decision or I am taking my business elsewhere.

tammy8

Racer there is a difference in CP and your MVR. Any activity where a police report is involved is on your MVR.

OP you are not being penalized for the accident, just not receiving an accident/claims free discount.

anneemull

I am going through the same thing right now....

I am having the same problem as you at this very moment. except I'm also dealing with the fact that for some unknown reason (neither my insurance company or the at-fault driver's insurance company will admit to it) it's showing up on my record as my fault!!! Still trying to figure out how to get that fixed..... I've been having to carry around the police report and other documents to prove I wasn't at fault to everyone I get a quote from...but anyway....

I too am getting pretty high quotes even though they say I have sufficiently proven it wasn't my fault. For example, Allstate outright admits that if you have been in an accident in the last 3 years, regardless of fault, you do not qualify for their best rate.

I decided to do a little research on Texas insurance law the other day, so when I opened up your thread I was glad to see that you were from Texas also (I'm in Houston). Now I am by no means an attorney, but since I can't afford much of one I've had to do a lot of research on my own.

Here's what I found (I put in bold the important stuff):

(From the TAIPA: Rules and Rating Maual)

Rule 9. ADDITIONAL CHARGES[
A. Additional charges are applicable to all risks.

B. Experience Period
The experience period is the 36 months immediately preceding the date of the policy.

C. Apply Additional Charges for
1. each accident involving the applicant, named insured or any other person who operates the auto(s); and​

2. each conviction involving the applicant, named
insured or any other person who operates the auto(s).​

D. Additional Charges for Accidents and Convictions
1. Accidents
If during the experience period the applicant or anyone who usually drives the motor vehicle has been involved as an operator or owner in a motor
vehicle accident resulting in injury to or death of any other person or damage to property of another, apply the following additional charge:

20%—For each accident​

Exceptions: No additional charge shall apply for
involvement in an accident:

a. that occurred while the auto owned or operated by the applicant or other person who usually drives the applicant’s auto was lawfully parked, standing, or stopped; or

b. in which the auto was struck by a hit-and-run driver, if such accident was reported to the proper authority within 24 hours; or

c. as a result of which the applicant or other person who usually drives the applicant’s auto obtained a judgment against, or a settlement from or on behalf of, the owner or operator of another auto involved in such accident if the judgment or settlement was obtained prior to the date of application or in case of renewal, prior to the effective date of the renewal policy, and provided no judgment was obtained against or any amount paid in settlement by or on behalf of the applicant or other person who usually drives the applicant’s auto as a result of such accident; or

d. in connection with which neither the applicant nor other person who usually drives the applicant’s auto was convicted of a moving traffic violation and the owner or operator of another auto involved was so convicted; or

e. resulting in the payment of a personal injury protection loss only.​

You can find this info at TAIPA - Texas Auto Insurance Plan Assocation and also make complaints there.
Another good site for help, info and filing insurance complaints is TDI Auto Information Home Page from the Texas Department of Insurance.

So, from my understanding, if one of the exceptions applies to you they CANNOT legally charge you more for your policy. In my case, it's been over a year and it has still not been settled. BUT item 'd' in the exceptions is what applies to me because the dude ran a red light and got a ticket...me...no violations.

Sorry this post was so long but I get pretty mad when people get screwed over just because we dont know or understand our rights!!!

Anneemull

Defendant99

Just an note on Choice Point. They are kind of intrusive. You have to send photocopies of your DL and you SS card to prove identity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">