• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roommatetrouble

What is the name of your state? IL
I need some advice last week I was in an accident. I was rear ended while stopped in traffic by an older man who seems to have fallen asleep at the wheel. My bumper fell off my car.....we exchange info and agreed to meet at the police station to file a report which was down the street.I went after my car was towed he however did not I have all his info which I got from him saw his drivers license,etc.... I filed a report with his insurance company.Which is basically jerking me around they waited a whole week before they sent a claims guy to look at my car.Now they are saying my car is totaled and also to get my car out of repair shop because they would not be paying the daily storage charge plus the guy hasn't filed a report with them so they are wanting to see if it was his fault.What do I do? first I feel that I shouldn't have to pay the daily fee at the body shop because it took them 6 days to send someone out and I called a few times plus they are saying that the damages to my car are over $3000 and my car is only worth $2000.........cmon serious it's the bumper that is damaged, nothing else $3000 for a bumper. I researched a bit and a bumper for my would run about $300 dollars .So I feel I being jerked and I have never been in an accident in my life I am a bit lost at what to do.Please help! Sorry for this post being so long.

B

brandylbryan

if the insurance company was contacted the same day as the accident then they should be responsible for the body shops charges. i would advise you to seek the advice of an attorney in your area, many give free consultations, and find out what your rights are. also contact the police again, this man should be held responsible for leaving the scene of an accident. just don't let the insurance company jerk you around, they will generally do what ever they can to avoid paying.

JETX

1) As 'brandy' noted, if you contacted them immediately after the accident, they are liable for any storage fees incurred as as a result of their policyholders actions.
2) Why are you fighting their claims of totalling your car?? Before accepting their $2000, negotiate your re-purchase of the 'totaled' car. Then, purchase the $300 bumper, have it installed and pocket the rest!! I once purchased my totalled car from the insurance company and resold it for a handsome profit!!

R

roommatetrouble

thank you both for your advice...........I will put it to good use and stop being so nice.........thanks guys

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">