• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

azmother3

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I will make this as short as possible. I dont want to get a lawyer unless I need to due to the fact that they charge and arm and a leg and I feel that with a little advice I might be able to do this myself.

I was involved in an accident at the end of July. My son and I were in our van that we had just purchased three weeks prior. We were stopped at a stop light and was rearended by someone going 30 miles an hour.

So far there is 3507 worth of damage to the vechile and I am still not happy the trunk still doesn't close right there is front damage that hasnt been fixed and the slider door on the passenger side still doesn't close right (stays open about 1/2 inch)

My son and I were seen at the er following the accident and then followed up with our PCM. He has a pulled muscle that there is nothing they can do for him. We were told just to pump him full of IBprofin and let time heal it. Myself on the other hand I have severe whiplash hips are out of line from the seatbelt (nothing they can do for it) and I have lost feeling from a pinched nerve three of my fingers in one of my hands and a painful elbow (same nerve that is causing my no feeling fingers. I am also having severe headaches fromworking and normal household items ie taking care of the children and the baby, taking care of the house etc. I have been in PT with having the headaches reduced some and no feeling back in my feelings and some relief with the elbow. The doctor said if I want feeling back in my fingers I might have to have surgery but if I can live with no feeling then I would not have to go through with the surgery.

I work from home as a coding specilist for my work that I am payed for is per piece. My typing has gone from 75 wpm to around 45 due to the fact that I have to watch my hands and what I am typing due to not feeling.

I am not sure where to start with the insurance company. I will not sign anything that they send to me and also will only speak to them on certain issue ie getting the van fixed and the rental car. I have been told by the adjuster that we will have to go into neg for a settlement. I dont know how to rate what my injuries are and what the long term effects will be. What do you suggest and where should I start?

Thanks in advance

C

coosi

Start here

if you don't get any other advice

http://www.ican2000.com/uspersnl.html#pain

Resolving Your "Pain and Suffering" Claim

Of all the subjects discussed in this page, this will probably be the most popular. Of all the E-mail we receive from consumers around the country, the overwhelming majority are asking "What is my claim worth?". As you can see by what you have read above, there is no easy or standard answer, only generalities. The major portion of most Personal Injury Claims has to do with the Pain and Suffering Settlement, which is directly related to the type of injury, the medical expenses incurred, the add'l medical expenses projected, the extent of your recovery, and the physical pain and suffering that is directly related thereto. There is also the credibility of your injury and the expenses incurred to address those injuries. To be perfectly blunt, there is no way we can be specific in answering these questions over the Internet. In addition to us knowing the actual expenses and/or financial damages you may have incurred, we would also have to be familiar with the credibility of those who have charged you for their services, as well as your own credibility. This does not usually happen unless we can speak directly with you . . . face-to-face is always best. However, you did not come to this portion of this page to be told only the reasons why we could not help you. You came here in search of some guidance.

Following is a general formula that could be used and could, just as easily, be departed from based upon individual circumstances.

Auto Damage Claim (100%)
Auto Diminished Resale Claim (repaired vehicles only)
Misc. property damage (personal property other than vehicle)
Rental vehicle expenses (reasonable)
Medical expenses (reasonable)
Lost wages (reasonable)
+ Pain & suffering allowance (1-3 times the medical expense if fully recovered)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Full value of claim

REMEMBER: The above formula is simply a general rule of thumb for most typical circumstances. The value of having a good personal injury attorney is realized in defining what is "reasonable", as referenced above and in the negotiation of your pain & suffering allowance. By retaining a good Personal Injury Attorney, you can also avoid the mistakes, pitfalls and stress of having to deal with the insurance company yourself.

:D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">