• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

krebb

Took place in California.

Backing out of a driveway which also has a three car garage and space for more cars.

In an uninsured Van (I believed it to be fully insured, I was lied to).

I tap a guys brand new black 2004 jeep bumper (non resident here, double parked behind another car in the driveway, blocking me from getting out of the driveway safely). Makes about a 1cm dent in his bumper with little/no paint damage (a bump/scratch is still a bump/scratch).

He decides not to file a report and say's not to worry about it. I do not file a report to the DMV assuming the damage is not over 750$. Turns out he later decides he needs a new bumper. 1200$, 1000$ quotes.

No report to the DMV ever (over 30 days now).

1 small bump. No injuries. I have not admitted fault... he's threatened to take this to the police. Advice anyone?

Thanks a ton.

-Gary

L

Liquidbee

Actually the police have no jurisdiction over this, this would have to be taken care of through the insurance agent, because there are no injuries invovled and it's not a hit and run.

I would suggest you call up your insurance company and tell them exactly what happened, when it happened, and how the guy said it was ok at first.

At worst your insurance will go up.

dequeendistress

and of course you are 100% positive there was no damage prior to you hitting the bumper nor any damage after that incident, that did NOT involve you?
As stated it is wayyyy after the fact to call police and I would bet that is what he is told if he calls...unless he is calling to report you are driving without insurance after hitting him a month ago...

Last edited:
K

krebb

He doesn't know the van wasn't insured, I didn't even know about it until the vans owner (the one lied to me about it being insured) told me. He told the man that he wanted to handle it so his insurance premium wouldnt go up (pay cost of repairs without involving insurance companies)... So he doesn't know about that.

And yes dequeendistress - I'm 100% there was no damage prior to me hitting the bumper unless something has happend in the last 3-4 days.

Thanks all for the advice. =]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">