• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice from a great legal mind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

inquiry125

What is the name of your state? Cailifornia

I was involved in an auto accident in which I rear-ended a person. I panicked and left the seen. The victim had written down my plates and now their insurance company has contacted me. They are requesting $2,800 and they want me to sign a form excepting full responsibility. The insurance company indicated that the accident was with a minor and that their investigation had established that the car was registered under my name. They are threatening to pursue me with a lawsuit or a collection agency. I would like to know if the insurance company really does have a case to go after me or is there a lack of evidence and the amount is not material enough to pursue me.
Moreover, before contacting them, I would like to know how I should handle the situation. I do not want to say something that will incriminate me for a future lawsuit. I know their investigators will ask specific questions to incriminate myself. I would like to be prepared for the conversation.
Finally, I would also like to inquire if this situation could affect my license or driving records. It has been two months since the accident and the police have not contacted me. Does that mean that the police are not currently involved or have not filed a report? :confused:

abaga

inquiry125 said:

I was involved in an auto accident in which I rear-ended a person. I panicked and left the seen. The victim had written down my plates and now their insurance company has contacted me. They are requesting $2,800 and they want me to sign a form excepting full responsibility. The insurance company indicated that the accident was with a minor and that their investigation had established that the car was registered under my name. They are threatening to pursue me with a lawsuit or a collection agency. I would like to know if the insurance company really does have a case to go after me or is there a lack of evidence and the amount is not material enough to pursue me.
Moreover, before contacting them, I would like to know how I should handle the situation. I do not want to say something that will incriminate me for a future lawsuit. I know their investigators will ask specific questions to incriminate myself. I would like to be prepared for the conversation.
Finally, I would also like to inquire if this situation could affect my license or driving records. It has been two months since the accident and the police have not contacted me. Does that mean that the police are not currently involved or have not filed a report? :confused:
If you caused this accident, and you chose to leave the scene and not let your insurance handle it (although, I am going to assume you did not have ins. if you fled the scene), then pay up!!!!!

You weren't responsible enough to stay at the scene....find some responsibility and pay up! Think of what you are putting your victim through with your actions. Put yourself in their shoes...how would you feel if this happened to you!

I only pray you didn't cause injuries.....

It sucks to be you now, that is for certain!

BelizeBreeze

inquiry125 said:

Call a local attorney. You're in deep doo-doo and no one here can advise you other than to hope there isn't a police report. Because you're in deep doo-doo.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">