• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on my accident quickly please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisamoo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Arizona

Okay, in May 2004 I was involved in my first accident ever. I ran a red light that I didn't see. I went through the intersection (going under the speed limit) and a woman making a left turn pulled out in front of me after hesitating when she saw me coming. I hit her rear driver's side, knocking her bumper off and maybe leaving a dent in her fender. My car sustained about $2500 worth of front-end damages. I was driving a 1999 Eclipse and she was driving a 1996 Infiniti G20. I was excluded from my fiancee's insurance at the time of the accident so our insurance company told me I was responsible to pay for the other driver's damages. I was fine with that because I know it's a dumb mistake I made or unfortunate circumstances that I cannot change. I am curious however to know if the other driver was ticketed for pulling out in front of me. She was very rude and didn't say anything to me, stuffed her bumper in her car and took off in a hurry after talking to the officer at the scene. Anyways, her insurance company contacted me via mail and sent me about three letters and forms as if I were filing a claim with them. I wasn't because our insurance covered the damages to our car. So I called them and told them this and they told me to fill out the forms and send them back anyways, they were pretty rude to me as well. So I filled them out and sent them back. The last letter I received from them in July was just telling me that I was responsible and that they weren't going to pay for my damages and that I had until June 2006 to settle my claim or file a lawsuit. Now here it is 3 months later and I get a letter from a collections agency telling me I'm late paying the insurance company around $7000! Now, I saw her car and I didn't hit her very hard (I braked and pulled to the right before I hit her to minimize the impact), her entire car is worth about that amount and I'm wondering why I have to pay so much. If I have to pay it I will (in small installments) but truthfully I just don't have that kind of money, or anywhere near that kind of money. I just want to know if there's any way to dispute the amount or the fact that I never heard from the insurance company in the three months before recieveing this late notice from a collection agency.
Can anyone help me? I'm hoping my question will not go unanswered because this is a very big deal for me and I've become very stressed and panicked because of it. I only have a week to dispute anything and then I'll automatically have to pay the amount, according to the collection agency letter. Please please help me!

lwpat

We will let the fact of driving without insurance pass. Notify the collection agency that you are disputing the account and demand verification. Also notify them that they are not to contact you by phone. This all needs to be done CRRR.

They can do nothing except ruin your credit until they take you to court and obtain a judgement. At that time they will have to prove the value of the auto or the amount of damage. The court will probably accept anything that appears reasonable. Then they can attach your wages, if allowed in AZ, bank accounts or real estate. Everything has to be done in accordance with state law.

The judgement will stay on your credit report for seven years and they can collect for the number of years allowable by AZ.

L

lisamoo

Just out of curiosity...

Hmmm...sounds like there's no way out then.
I've called a couple law offices and was told I need to talk to a civil defense attorney. I can't find one here in AZ.
I'm very upset now and I've tried contacting both sides (the collection agency and the insurance company), only to get ahold of no one. I'm wondering, what will happen if I don't pay anything? I'm assuming it'll only get worse and they'll start bothering me about it. Or will they just assume I'm too broke to pay?
I am too broke to pay, my average bank account balance is about $20 or less. I'm wondering why it seems I can't do anything about this ridiculous amount I have to pay or the fact that no one ever contacted me until now. I think it seems like there's something wrong going on here. If anyone else has any other input I'd love to hear from them. It seems like I'm the only one who's ever had this happen or felt this way about the situation. I may be wrong but that's how it looks to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">