• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cwh82

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was just involved in an accident last week. It was at night and it was raining. A car had just been in an accident he shouldn't be driving the car, but he was still driving it. His car died in the middle of the road, and the car in front of me stopped just short of hitting him, but i couldn't stop in time, and I rear-ended the car in front of me. My car was damaged in the front, but the car I r/e did not look like it had any visible damage. The police came and he gave me a ticket for careless driving. No one was injured and no ambulance was called to the site. The person I hit drove off in his car and he was fine. I just have a few questions now.

1. I know a lawsuit is definitely coming my way. I was just wondering how much I would end up having to pay. I have insurance (full coverage), and I know these cases end up getting settled. I just wanted to know usually how much my insurance company would have to end up paying the people bringing the lawsuit?

2. Should I fight my ticket? Will my insurance rate go up if I get the two points?

3. I am thinking about not asking my insurance company to pay for the damage to my car. I will just pay it out of my own pockets so my ins. rate won't go up. Should I call the other person to see if he is going to fix his car and ask him not to report it? It didn't look like there's any damage to his car, but you never know.

thanks for all the help

JETX

cwh82 said:
I know a lawsuit is definitely coming my way. I was just wondering how much I would end up having to pay. I have insurance (full coverage), and I know these cases end up getting settled. I just wanted to know usually how much my insurance company would have to end up paying the people bringing the lawsuit?
They (or you) will have to pay whatever the reasonable damages to the other party/parties is. No one can guess how much that might be as we haven't seen the property damage, or any statement as to personal injury (if any).

Should I fight my ticket?
On what grounds??? From your post, you WERE at fault (driving too close, failure to maintain safe distance, excessive speed, etc.).

Will my insurance rate go up if I get the two points?
Yes, your insurance will go up, due to both the points AND the claim.

I am thinking about not asking my insurance company to pay for the damage to my car. I will just pay it out of my own pockets so my ins. rate won't go up.
That won't affect your insurance (or if it does, very little). The issues your insurance company will consider are: (1) you were cited as liable in an accident and (2) the insurance company had to pay a claim as a result of YOUR driving.

Should I call the other person to see if he is going to fix his car and ask him not to report it?
Of course you can do that.... after all, the other driver may be an idiot and accept.

jcook7066

JETX is right on all counts. It sounds like this could be much worse than you describe. This is a classic example of WHY you have insurance in the first place. As to weather or not to claim your own damages, you should consider what your cost is now versus increased premium over the next few years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">