• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help on a 3 car auto accident (not our fault)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorfballfan

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?FL

Me and my family were recently involved in a 3 car accident which was not my fault. A car on the highway initially hit another car and in their pathetic attempt to regain control of their vehicle, t-boned our truck instead. (Person hit a car, then made a stupid maneuver and hit us too at a greater force and at a worse angle). We spun and flipped a few times, luckily everyone came out alive. Our 1 year-old truck received the most damage, and was considered to be totaled. The person who hit us was cited at fault because of careless driving.

The problem is that 4 days later after the accident we received no calls from the other party's insurance company, we finally made the call to their company and it turns out that our hitter hasn't even reported the accident yet, while we made the call to our own company while we were in the ER. This has given me an odd feeling that the person at fault may be a real irresponsible person, and if they don't decide to take any action about what they did, what is left of us? We are missing one vehicle, me and my family have been experiencing some pain and discomfort, and have been hassled the most for something that was not even our fault. What type of actions should I take? Should I go directly to their insurance company and demand some sort of action to be taken immediately? What happens to the violater if they decide to just sit at home and do nothing about it?

Lynx 36

Quote: "what is left of us?"

Try these in order. If one doesn't work, move on to the next.

1. Call a claim into his insurance company to see if they will handle your damages.

2. If they don't to your satisfaction, call a claim into your insurance company providing you have collision coverage on your policy.

3. Sue the driver.

4. Call this guy I know named Gweedo and........er never mind :rolleyes:

Quote: "me and my family have been experiencing some pain and discomfort, and have been hassled the most for something that was not even our fault."

Need more details. What type of pain and discomfort? And how have you been hassled?

Quote: "Should I go directly to their insurance company and demand some sort of action to be taken immediately?"

I wouldn't. You get more bees w/ honey than you do vinegar. You might call them, be nice and ask them f/ an update on the claim. When people I deal w/ start making demands and acting like a jerk, most adjustors I know will reciprocate the same way. I.E. I recently totalled a car out and the people were complete jerks about it. They wanted everything settled in 2 days. They acted like it was the only claim I had. Well, they ended up getting $500 less than they would have got if only they would have been just a little nice. I settled in a week. They had no clue I would have given them $500 more initially.
There might be a time to make demands on them later in the claim but not the beginning. Hear what they at least have to say first. You always have your own insurance or a lawsuit to fall back on. :D

Quote: "What happens to the violater if they decide to just sit at home and do nothing about it?"

He has a duty to cooperate w/ his insurance company. If he absolutely refuses to do this (which I doubt will be the case eventually), his insurance will deny the claim and cancel his policy. You will then have to use your own insurance or sue the other driver.

Do you have collision coverage on your own car?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">